PDA

View Full Version : Human Theme (Old) vs Ambiance Theme (New)

theosam
September 19th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I am curious of what the poll results will look like, since about half the people I know who use Ubuntu wants the Human Theme back while the other half loves the new Ambiance Theme.

Which theme do you like better?

Human Theme (Old)
or
Ambiance Theme (New)

Ctrl-Alt-F1
September 19th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Definitely Human! I think my favorite was the version in Hardy but possibly Jaunty.

kaldor
September 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM
It depends on what part of the theme. I enjoy aubergine and orange, but I think brown was a better fit for Ubuntu. The new wallpapers are also crap compared to Hardy and Intrepid's.

I miss certain things from the old days of Human, but overall the new theme is a good direction apart from the horrible wallpapers and slightly awkward icons.

phrostbyte
September 19th, 2010, 05:58 PM
:guitar:

Oh come on, Ambiance is like 500x times better </subjective>

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Definitely Ambiance, though I'm also not a big fan of the default wallpaper in Lucid.

tjeremiah
September 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Ambiance Theme. Human theme was ugly and was a put off when I first started using Ubuntu.

johnb820
September 19th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Legacy Human theme circa Breezy Badger. Still the most appealing ubuntu theme I have had the pleasure of using.

Merk42
September 19th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Both Human and Ambiance have gone through changes so a bit unfair to lump them together.

KdotJ
September 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Ambiance all day long

chessnerd
September 19th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Human. No doubt.

I especially loved the version in Hardy (and Jaunty as well). Sure, the Ambiance theme is a bit more "polished" but I still feel that the Human theme was far more unique. Ubuntu was orange and brown. What other OS was like that? Now they are black and purple.

My Windows 7 Aero theme is currently a dark purple and my backgrounds are of space (which is black) so I like the color combo, but it just doesn't feel like Ubuntu. It feels too much like a knock-off of Mint (which also had black windows).

Yeah, it's just the default theme (which I changed to Radiance) but the default theme is very important. It is what welcomes the person to the world of Ubuntu. I feel that Hardy made a better first impression...

Dustin2128
September 19th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Human, by far. I think that hardy was my favorite version, though maybe that's just bias because hardy was my first fully installed distro. Memories :)

PuddingKnife
September 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Ambiance is head and shoulders above any theme I've seen for Linux or Windows. Why?

It is uniquely 'Linux' looking.

It is elegant.

You can change it.

MaxIBoy
September 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I prefer a dark theme, but even though I always changed it, I really liked the Human theme (especially the caramel colors in Hardy.) The Ambiance theme is just awful though.

However, I don't see a problem with the default theme being bad. I'd be in favor of choosing a really tacky horrible theme by default, with the desktop background just being some text that says "choose your preferred theme by going to System->Preferences->Appearance." It would get people into customization right away; new users would understand from the start that they are in control. (Realistically, I know this idea won't go over well.)

qamelian
September 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I always loved Human, primarily because I found the colours relaxing, but I do prefer Ambiance now.

Old Marcus
September 20th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I much prefer Ambiance. I've seen so many stories on the net of people being shown the wonders of Ubuntu and saying "Yeah, but it looks fugly."

Austin25
September 20th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I liked darkroom better than human back then, but Ambiance is good now.

Stan_1936
September 20th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Definitely Human! I think my favorite was the version in Hardy but possibly Jaunty.

Jaunty's theme was PERFECT for Ubuntu. I would want ALL default Ubuntu versions to look like that. It was THEEE professional look.

Together with a supremely tasteful wallpaper, it was simply stunning.

"The wallpaper was, to many, both unimaginative and an incredible let down after the high standards set by previous designs."
SOURCE=OMGUBUNTU: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/a-look-back-at-every-ubuntu-default-wallpaper/

Needless to say, I strongly disagree. It was arguably the ONLY non-distracting default Ubuntu wallpaper. I really enjoyed it. It is my current wallpaper and I'm using 10.04.

mmesantos1
September 20th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Ambiance hands down. :)

Rasa1111
September 20th, 2010, 04:47 AM
i really liked human,
but i do like ambiance more.
i feet human was "awesome!",
but ambiance is 'brilliant! lol

hm.. though i guess human was also 'brilliant' at one time. :lol: