PDA

View Full Version : Create Web Shortcuts In Favourites

H4rm0ny
September 19th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Have just put Ubuntu Netbook Remix on an old laptop for parental units. They pick it up in thirty minutes. I have got the bloody Broadcom wireless working. I have got Skype set up. I have done everything except put some web shortcuts to pages like Yahoo Mail on the Favourites page because... the Hell? How do I do that?

No, bookmarks in Firefox aren't good enough. I want a friendly icons on their desktop. This has to be incredibly obvious. Anyone, please?

ajgreeny
September 19th, 2010, 12:07 PM
You must make the new shortcuts to the URLs wanted in the internet section first. Right click-> Create new launcher, and there use "firefox <URL>" in the command box, as normal.

Now when you highlight or mouse over that new launcher you can click on the plus sign to add it to Favourites.

H4rm0ny
September 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM
You must make the new shortcuts to the URLs wanted in the internet section first. Right click-> Create new launcher, and there use "firefox <URL>" in the command box, as normal.

Now when you highlight or mouse over that new launcher you can click on the plus sign to add it to Favourites.

I knew there had to be a simple way to do this. I'll try what you suggest.

Thank you!

H.

Garth Smith
April 7th, 2011, 06:42 PM
This answer is better than what I had, and I just spend 20 minutes looking around before finding this! Thanks!

I tend to switch my default web browser somewhat frequently between Chrome and Firefox. Must I update my shortcut to use a specific browser? Is there any way to just have the URL launch in my default web browser?

- Garth