PDA

View Full Version : netbook live cd problems.

cudayne
September 19th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I have an old laptop a gateway m275 laptop the touch screen was trashed so i decided to make it into a kids computer. since it by today's standards is pretty small on ram i thought the net-book edition of ubutu would be perfect. I downloaded it checked the ISO ran the heck on the cd.

even went so far as boot the live CD onto my desktop which ran it super-fast. I then put the CD into the laptop booted it up an when the ubuntu desktop should have appeared nothing appeared an the monitor went into stand by mode.

I had this problem installing Linux mint on it. I had too use the compatibility mode in order too install mint on it. Once i did that I could live CD an install/run mint fine.

SO the long story short anyone have any idea how too set the live CD of net book edition too compatibility mode? or a mode where i can get too setup an use the net-book edition?

Thanks.

wilee-nilee
September 19th, 2010, 09:29 AM
When you boot the cd hold down the shift key you will get to a menu hit f6 try nomodeset then boot.

cudayne
September 20th, 2010, 07:57 AM
tried that no go same result

wilee-nilee
September 20th, 2010, 08:01 AM
tried that no go same result

I don't remember all the choices in that f6 menu so it might be another, hard to say.

What is the memory/ram on the computer, upon looking it up it looks to be as low as 128MB

cudayne
September 21st, 2010, 02:44 AM
it has 512 shared ram with 40 gig HD. Ya the nomodeset is the way too do this for suse or so it said when go-ogling the problem but it don't do anything different when i select it for net book edition here.

snowpine
September 21st, 2010, 03:12 AM
Ubuntu Netbook Edition is designed to run on "netbooks" with the following minimum specs:

If you have a netbook and a supported graphics card, using Ubuntu Netbook Edition (formerly "Ubuntu Netbook Remix") is an interesting option. It has a nice interface adapted for smaller screens, and a selection of applications aimed at netbook users.

Ubuntu Netbook Remix is designed to run well on netbooks with typically minimal specs, i.e.:

* Intel Atom processor @ 1.6 GHz
* 512 MiB of system memory (RAM)
* 4 GB of disk space
* Screen of 1024x600 resolution
* Graphics chipset with support for visual effects

It sounds like a graphics issue; have you tried "regular" Ubuntu and/or a distro designed for older hardware like Puppy?

cudayne
September 21st, 2010, 05:12 AM
ya its running linux mint LXD right now. just saw ubuntu had a lightweight edition lighter weight then lxd so thought i would try it sence the box does meet the min requirements. Looking around though I think ill try Xubuntu an see if that will load.

cudayne
September 21st, 2010, 07:12 AM
same thing with xubuntu it so has too be a grafical issue have no idea how too work around it