PDA

View Full Version : Which older-model digital audio player should we get?

hanzj
September 19th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Hello,

We're looking to getting some older-model digital audio player(s).

We're looking for older models because we can't afford to buy the newest ones, and anyway, an older model would do.

What we need from a DAP is simply one that can play audio. We don't need the ability to view photos or movies. It needs a screen so that we can navigate from one track to some other track.

We use our DAP mostly to listen to spoken-word/speech/audiobook sorts of stuff, and not music. On the DAPs that we used to have, we liked how Rockbox allowed us to play audio files at faster speed without the "chipmunk" (high-pitched voice) effect. So having this high-speed-playback feature, whether through Rockbox or without any added software, in the the next DAP we get would be real handy. Actually, this is a very big thing that we seek in a DAP (ability to play high-speed-without-high-pitch, either on its own, or with Rockbox).

In terms of capacity, we're not really picky. It could be more than 100 GB. It could be 5 GB. But hopefully, not just one or two GB. It depends on the GB/$ ratio.

Any brand is fine. We have no loyalty or preference. Actually, we don't really like how iPod uses its own connector and does not use USB, but if you recommend an iPod, no problem. But know that we are not Apple diehard fans. And know that we don't care so much for Apple iPod's firmware, since we can use Rockbox and have the high-speed-without-high-pitch ability.

Size-- no preference. Big or small is fine. We plan on playing it in a car and while taking walks.

If there's other things you need to know, please ask.

Thank you.

miggols99
September 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I recommend the Sansa Clip (or Clip+) as it can run Rockbox, and is pretty good value for money. 8GB is $56.99 on Amazon, and it can be expanded with a micro SD card if you want more space. That's only on the plus version though.

hanzj
September 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I recommend the Sansa Clip (or Clip+) as it can run Rockbox, and is pretty good value for money. 8GB is $56.99 on Amazon, and it can be expanded with a micro SD card if you want more space. That's only on the plus version though.

Thank you for your recommendation of the Sansa Clip (or Clip+). We actually had a sansa clip before and really liked it. Though trying to read the screen while in a moving vehicle is hard, because of the small LCD / small text. But we'll consider it. We see that the Clip+ was released just a year ago, on Aug. 31, 2009. Hope the price has dropped a lot since then. Wikipedia indicates there is a minor problem with the Clip+:

To make room for the microSD slot, there have been some changes from the old Clip, including moving the volume switch to the left side of the device and changing the power/hold switch to a simple power button. The new power button seems to be vulnerable to a mechanical problem that causes it to fail to respond to any input.

Would love to hear from Clip+ users whether they have this mechanical problem.

hanzj
September 19th, 2010, 03:45 PM
We learned that battery life (advertised at 15 fours) drains faster if playing audio from the MicroSD card. We suppose this is natural, but we hope the drain isn't much different than from playing from the main drive of the Clip+.
(http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/08/sandisk-sansa-clip-plus-review/#comment-19859)

I really liked that ver. 1 HOLD would lock the player’s buttons when off…just the thing for throwing it in carry-on luggage. The PDF manual says the new HOLD only works when the player is *on*.Sigh. (http://anythingbutipod.com/2009/08/sandisk-sansa-clip-plus-review/#comment-19888)

BTW, We're posting these "criticisms" of the Clip+ here just for reference as we go shopping around, and not to say that the Clip+ is bad.

thatguruguy
September 19th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Last Christmas I bought 4gb Craig mp3 players from CVS (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=698550&productId=698550&navAction=push&navCount=2&no_new_crumb=true) for the kids. They were $40 list, $25 on sale when I bought them. They're not expandable, but they're compatible with Ubuntu and decent players for the money.

EDIT: I don't know if Rockbox works on it, so it may not be appropriate for you.

matthewbpt
September 19th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Buy an old iriver h320 or 4th gen ipod on ebay and put rockbox on it. That will be cheap and fulfil your needs perfectly.

drawkcab
September 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I'm still rocking with an old Iriver h-120. It's excellent, especially with rockbox.

hanzj
September 25th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your helpful comments. I love the small size of the Clip, but the price:capacity ratio is less than an iPod. But the screen-present iPod is bigger in size. Oh well. Maybe, we'll get both. 8-)

sandyd
September 25th, 2010, 07:09 PM
sansa fuze has a higher battery life ive found (v1) i mean

hanzj
September 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Sansa Fuze has more battery life than what?

Schrute Farms
September 25th, 2010, 07:47 PM
If you liked the Clip, but want a bigger screen, then go for the Sansa Fuze.
I've got a V1 Fuze that I've put RockBox on, and I have no complaints. I've used it almost every day over the last 2 years & it still works great.
Plus, it looks like RockBox works on the newer V2 Fuzes, although it is still officially listed as unstable.

hanzj
October 5th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I don't mind the Fuze. It looks great. Some on ebay don't come with the proprietary USB sync cable, though. 8-)

hanzj
October 5th, 2010, 04:32 AM
With the iriver H120, does it use a proprietary USB sync cable?
What about the iriver h10 series?

Austin25
October 5th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Homebrew NDS.