PDA

View Full Version : In need of a good music player

TheNerdAL
September 18th, 2010, 11:04 PM
So I have an iPod Shuffle that doesn't work with Ubuntu and I want a new music player. I was thinking about getting the iPod Touch but I don't know if I should. I want it to be compatible with Ubuntu.

Does anyone have any good music players to recommend?

Thanks

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2010, 11:06 PM
This has been done a thousand times. There were several very recently as well. Have you searched yet?

Sansa, Cowon, blah blah.

TheNerdAL
September 18th, 2010, 11:08 PM
This has been done a thousand times. There were several very recently as well. Have you searched yet?

Sansa, Cowon, blah blah.

We owned one Sansa and we had to return them and now we own another one that I think has the same problem.

cj.surrusco
September 18th, 2010, 11:10 PM
My iPod Classic 6th gen works fine. The price isn't bad either, considering Apple pricing. I think it's $250 for 160 GB. Only downside is that it is hard drive based. I've already had one fail from a 3-4 foot drop onto tile.

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2010, 11:12 PM
We owned one Sansa and we had to return them and now we own another one that I think has the same problem.

Most users in these types of threads have recommended Sansa. What type of problem are you having with it?

My iPod Classic 6th gen works fine. The price isn't bad either, considering Apple pricing. I think it's $250 for 160 GB. Only downside is that it is hard drive based. I've already had one fail from a 3-4 foot drop onto tile.

The upside of course, is that it's 160GB.

TheNerdAL
September 18th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Most users in these types of threads have recommended Sansa. What type of problem are you having with it?

When we put earphones in it, only one side can be heard.

ubunterooster
September 18th, 2010, 11:24 PM
That sounds like a physical disconnection in either headphones or player. If you are patient it can usually be soldered.

I still like my...cowon D2+

OGG, FLAC, SD expandability (full-sized SD not the Micro), ability to play flash games via the small touch screen, and excellent battery life. Until Recently I used mine 10 hours a day, 6 days a week (often around lawn equipment and such)and recharged it once a week.

TheNerdAL
September 18th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I don't care how much it costs as long as it's compatible with Ubuntu.

ubunterooster
September 18th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Completely Ubuntu compatible. I have yet to have a problem with it as music and player updates can be done very simply with ubuntu. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cowon+d2+plus&sprefix=cowon+d2

TheNerdAL
September 18th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Completely Ubuntu compatible. I have yet to have a problem with it as music and player updates can be done very simply with ubuntu. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cowon+d2+plus&sprefix=cowon+d2

Thanks.

ubunterooster
September 18th, 2010, 11:38 PM
No problem. If you happen to have any questions about it, I'll be likely to be able to help as I've been using mine for a long time now. :D

Cheers,
Ubunterooster

scouser73
September 19th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I have an iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen works like a charm

Dustin2128
September 19th, 2010, 01:38 AM
marking my 10^7th response to these types of threads, the sansa fuze makes for a solid linux Mp3 player. About 70$, 8GB of storage expandable to 40 with a micro sdhc. Do not buy ipods without the intention of loading rockbox.

Since my fuze is toast now (laundry incident) I'm using an old uber-cheap (10$) clip Mp3 player I bought a few years ago. Works fine, long battery life, 2GB of storage. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean shoddy.

pwnst*r
September 19th, 2010, 01:47 AM
You should put that in your sig instead.

Dustin2128
September 19th, 2010, 02:04 AM
You should put that in your sig instead.
hm... maybe I will.