PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 Freeze

Swordslam
September 18th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hello, I am new to using Ubuntu. I just inalled 10.04 a few hours ago and I am experiencing freeze ups after about 10 seconds after logging in. I can't use my computer because I erased my C drive on installation. Any help?

MooPi
September 18th, 2010, 09:20 PM
We'll need more details. Age of computer, brand, Processor, memory , video, and what ever else you care to share. How you installed , details please.

Swordslam
September 18th, 2010, 09:24 PM
My computer is about 3 years old, I can't check the specs because it freezes up too quickly. I installed from a USB stick.

MooPi
September 18th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Can you boot with the USB stick now and look and see whats under the hood. Hopefully you can use the usb stick?

Swordslam
September 18th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I deleted the files from the stick and emptied the Trash can. I seem to be able to go about 5 minutes now without it freezing up.

MooPi
September 18th, 2010, 09:45 PM
It sounds like it may be a hardware issue and heat. If it's not heat it may be bad memory. Shut the computer down and let rest. If your comfortable opening the case do so . Unplug the computer and lightly feel around for excessive amounts of heat. If you can sense heat without touching or if something is so warm as not to let you rest your fingers on it without burning then you may have a heat issue. If you have lots of dust or accumulated cigarette dust could be a problem blocking fans. Always be careful and gentle inside your computer.

Swordslam
September 18th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Alright, thanks. I'll try letting it cool down for a while