PDA

View Full Version : Mandriva forked into Mageia

Jimtheplanner
September 18th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hi Folks,

With the uncertainty surrounding Mandriva. Some good people have decided to fork it into http://www.mageia.org/

Best regards

Jim

Naiki Muliaina
September 18th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I found the whole Mandriva goin down thing upsetting in a nerdy way. Was my first Linux love. The first Linux that got it right. Nice to see there will be some mark of a Mandy still going.

murderslastcrow
September 18th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Mandriva (Mandrake) was bundled with The Sims at one point! Mandriva really amped the viability up, and that was back when it wasn't very feasible to download your own distro. Looking at its history, it's quite interesting to see how fair we'd come even so far back.

I wonder what more we could do these days to make Linux better. It seems like it's always polish on top of polish on top of polish. The major features are already there.

All I need is a good video editor similar to GIMP mixed with Synfig or something, with effects. Well, I guess After Effects, something like it. I know I can run After Effects anyway, but I want a native program. Lol, other than that, everything's here already.

I hope this new distribution is interesting and compelling. It'd be nice to see someone try to outright beat Ubuntu. Linux Mint is the only distro I see really competing by using the same features. Ubuntu's just so far ahead with a mainstream music store, paid applications available now, the Software Center itself, the MeMenu, all the other stuff. It's a bit mind boggling. Oh, and the OFFICIAL VENDOR SUPPORT.

Goodness, how does any other distribution stand a chance? @_@

ubunterooster
September 18th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Mandriva! Where did it go wrong! You were the peak of the pyramid, and now... Where are you...way down the list. :(

Anzan
September 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
This is good news. It would be a misfortune for all of Madrake/Mandriva's history to be lost.

Naiki Muliaina
September 19th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Mandriva! Where did it go wrong! You were the peak of the pyramid, and now... Where are you...way down the list. :(

Bad management. :(

I am still in hope Mandriva keeps going with something special, but its been so long now ya know?

Slug71
September 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Wow, didnt know this till now. It is kinda sad. Was also my favourite Distro at one time. :(

Rodney9
June 2nd, 2011, 05:35 AM
Mageia Version 1 of Mageia, a Linux distribution built and maintained by many former developers and contributors to Mandriva Linux, has been released: http://blog.mageia.org/en/2011/06/01/mageia-1/

Aquix
June 2nd, 2011, 06:35 AM
My plan was to try ubuntu for some months before going back to my beloved Mandriva, but then the drama started. And now I'm divided by unity and have to find another distro. So this might be good news and I will keep an eye on it. At least it's never a boring moment as a linux user :p