PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty won't upgrade...

dougalkerr
September 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I am running Jaunty on a Dell desktop machine that is a few years old now. The system installed alright but, problems arise when I try to follow the upgrade path to 9.10 and so on.
I have done this before on an old machine to see how far I could get and 10.4 with XUbuntu was as far as I got,
Now I have a slightly different problem here;
The system installs and the Upgrade Manager kicks in and I opted for the upgrade to 9.10. It gets so far along and tells me that some of the upgrade cannot be achieved and do I want to recover and finish - I opt to do that and reboot the machine when it has finshed.

I get back to the Desktop and opt for the partial upgrade that is offered. When I have clicked to start the upgrade the window disappears and nothing else happens.
Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on here?
I will download and burn a fresh 9.10 if you guys/gals think this may be the best bet.
Thanks.

Rubi1200
September 18th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Well, without knowing about any error messages you may have received (you can check in /var/log/dpkg.log), I would recommend a fresh installation.

mörgæs
September 18th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Agree on the fresh install.

Partial upgrades are dangerous:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1479146

dougalkerr
September 19th, 2010, 03:38 PM
A fresh install of Crunchbang to get things going quickly and a clean of the cdrom laser has allowed me to install 10.04 which always failed before.
All is back to normal and up-to-date. Such a pity though that the codecs still have to be installed manually for Flash.
On the Ultimate Edition everything is done for you and everything just works, (well except my latest venture with a Wireless USb thing but, this is the same in Ubuntu too so can't blame the distro - just the makers/suppliers of the hardware for not having an automatic driver install script), One day... all computers will work with everything out of the box.
So far Ultimate edition is the closest I have come to that, even beating Windows 7... not hard to do, you would think but, I know of a few Linux distros I have tried and they have failed to impresss.

Any way thanks for the inputs.

Rubi1200
September 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
You are more than welcome :)

Enjoy!