PDA

View Full Version : So I am trying Opera in Ubuntu

Dragynn
September 18th, 2010, 05:24 PM
And so far I can say this, it's not near as fast as Iron, and doesn't block ads worth a dang, in fact I had one of those full-page float-over ads run across my screen while using it, I haven't seen one of those in ages....lame-o.

I liked that it had a really expanded user-preferences section, the security looked very comprehensive...too bad portions of it don't actually work, or it might have been worthwhile. Tried it on another linux distro, same thing.

In summary: meh. I'll stick to Iron, I used to love Firefox, until it turned into an old overloaded choo-choo that can't hardly make it up the hill anymore.

urukrama
September 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Have a look at this: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/ad-block?startidx=200

Frogs Hair
September 18th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I've been using Opera 10.62 on Windows for a week and I like it . I have a hosts file on windows which works like Adbblock. I haven't tried it on Ubuntu yet.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
And so far I can say this, it's not near as fast as Iron, and doesn't block ads worth a dang, in fact I had one of those full-page float-over ads run across my screen while using it, I haven't seen one of those in ages....lame-o.

Consider visiting websites that don't use annoying advertisements.

Naiki Muliaina
September 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM

A change in settings can used to be able to fix that. You used to be able to turn the browser onto super duper secure that blocked everything and its dog I believe.

I liked that it had a really expanded user-preferences section, the security looked very comprehensive...too bad portions of it don't actually work, or it might have been worthwhile. Tried it on another linux distro, same thing.

What portions did not work?

In summary: meh. I'll stick to Iron, I used to love Firefox, until it turned into an old overloaded choo-choo that can't hardly make it up the hill anymore.

Exaggeration much? :)

murderslastcrow
September 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM
If you're a basic internet user, most commonly used browsers are spoiling you with features and speed compared to what most people have to use. Of course, you might as well use the best of the best, they don't cost you anything.

I personally keep ads on, anyway. I like to support the sites I use with ad revenue, since I know some of them really need it.

beew
September 18th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I use firefox as my default while also keeping Opera around. I like Opera's interface and feel but it just isn't infinitely extendable like firefox with its amazing addons. For people who complain about Firefox's speed you need a better internet connection, it may be a little bit slower comparing to Opera and Chrome(which I hate) but the little speed lag is not even perceptible for most sites. Speed is not the be all and end all, I am not in a rush. Tried Adsweep in Opera, doesn't seem to do a thing. Maybe I didn't do it properly. will have another look at it.

Dragynn
September 18th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Consider visiting websites that don't use annoying advertisements.

Funny thing is, I didn't even know some of the sites I was visiting HAD annoying advertisements...until I tried Opera. Get what i'm saying here?

Dragynn
September 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Exaggeration much? :)

No actually, and I took screenshots to prove it, Peacekeeper scores for me were almost 200% faster in Iron as compared to Firefox.

I talk a lot of crap, but I don't lie and I don't exaggerate....much. ;)

And just FYI, the fastest speeds I got, were using Puppy Linux with Iron, I was hitting almost 4-core speeds with an old 2-core Athlon and ddr-400. Fastest thing i've ever seen, instant gratification.

Naiki Muliaina
September 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Pages load in under 2 secounds on Firefox on my PC. That's hardly 'an old overloaded choo-choo that can't hardly make it up the hill anymore'. Yes you exaggerate :P

JustinR
September 18th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Most people seem to ignore that Opera has widgets. Is their a difference between Addons and Widgets?

Naiki Muliaina
September 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Yes, operas widgets can be used after you have closed Opera, such as the IM client.

wilee-nilee
September 18th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Have a look at this: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/ad-block?startidx=200

+1 on the addblock it has to be set up.

Dragynn
September 18th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Pages load in under 2 secounds on Firefox on my PC. That's hardly 'an old overloaded choo-choo that can't hardly make it up the hill anymore'. Yes you exaggerate :P

OMG 2 seconds? fer real?

wow, you should really try Iron, we are talking milliseconds, 2 seconds is beyond ridiculous, that's the kind of performance I was starting to get too, thats why I switched.

wilee-nilee
September 18th, 2010, 11:10 PM
OMG 2 seconds? fer real?

wow, you should really try Iron, we are talking milliseconds, 2 seconds is beyond ridiculous, that's the kind of performance I was starting to get too, thats why I switched.

Personal experience here, I find FF to ran as fast as chrome and iron on my computer. I hardly ever use opera, chrome, and iron but I have them installed.

The FF addons are just must better, then the browsers for me.

Dustin2128
September 19th, 2010, 01:22 AM
sorry, but what exactly is iron?

beew
September 19th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Most people seem to ignore that Opera has widgets. Is their a difference between Addons and Widgets?

Much more limited comparing to FF addons.

beew
September 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM
sorry, but what exactly is iron?

Apparantly a hacked version of Chrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron

Dustin2128
September 19th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Apparantly a hacked version of Chrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRWare_Iron
So basically its a lightly modified version of chromium with the code comments changed, marketing its self as a separate browser?

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm232/mintkiller/facepalm.jpg

Mr. Picklesworth
September 19th, 2010, 02:23 AM
So basically its a lightly modified version of chromium with the code comments changed, marketing its self as a separate browser?

…and with no source code to prove its trustworthiness. Indeed! :)
(Don't worry, Chromium is under the BSD license so they aren't violating any agreement, but I'm happier trusting a browser for which I can grab the source and build a working binary whenever I want, as opposed to a browser whose website would rather give me a massive advertisement than a current download for its source).

Dustin2128
September 19th, 2010, 03:13 AM
(Don't worry, Chromium is under the BSD license so they aren't violating any agreement, but I'm happier trusting a browser for which I can grab the source and build a working binary whenever I want, as opposed to a browser whose website would rather give me a massive advertisement than a current download for its source).
don't worry? I'm kinda wishing that chromium was under GPL right now.
:lolflag:

Legendary_Bibo
September 19th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I get pages to load in a few to 30 seconds with Firefox on Ubuntu. It only slows down because I'm using wireless, and the signal is very weak in my room (we had another router that was closer, but it kept overheating).

Why are you so obsessed with Iron? It's based on Chromium which means it's probably the same thing.

Dragynn
September 19th, 2010, 04:09 AM

LMAO! I'm looking at SRware's site right now IN the Iron browser with it's adblock installed and there are ZERO ads! Your post therefore has zero merit my friend, the source code IS Chromium, not really that hard to find if you know where Google is.:roll:

And the difference, what they removed, is here:
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

It's just preference and opinion, all subjective, have fun with FizzleFox amigo, time is only Mother Nature's way of preventing everything from happening at once. ;)

Dustin2128
September 19th, 2010, 04:27 AM
LMAO! I'm looking at SRware's site right now IN the Iron browser with it's adblock installed and there are ZERO ads! Your post therefore has zero merit my friend, the source code IS Chromium, not really that hard to find if you know where Google is.:roll:

And the difference, what they removed, is here:
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

It's just preference and opinion, all subjective, have fun with FizzleFox amigo, time is only Mother Nature's way of preventing everything from happening at once. ;)
it was a metaphor/criticism for their dev team simply grabbing the chromium source code, changing code comments and user preferences, and redistributing it as "unique" software (and of course you don't see ads, you installed ADBLOCK!). It doesn't mean that his post has no merit. And their site is literally crawling with advertisements if you don't have an adblocker. That just invalidated your post while at the same time validating pickle's. Their source code download link is currently defunct as well, even though its supposedly licensed under BSD.

Also: please don't use text language if you'd like to be taken seriously, and please don't bash firefox just because it doesn't suit your needs.

bayvista
September 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I will have to abandon Firefox as there are just too many sites that get scrambled. Will try 'Iron'?

wilee-nilee
September 19th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Love a good nitpicking drama, carry on.:popcorn:

Dragynn
September 19th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Also: please don't use text language if you'd like to be taken seriously, and please don't bash firefox just because it doesn't suit your needs.

Text language? What exactly do you consider text language?

Now I can't speak certain words, can't say that Firefox is slow (it is, everyone knows it).... any other behavior of mine you'd like to control there boss?

I don't care two hoots whether you or anyone else takes me seriously, I offered an opinion, one that I specifically mentioned was subjective JUST so fanboys wouldn't get their undies in a wad...looks like there are just never enough disclaimers for some folks.....

I stand by my statements, I have tested all these browsers on multiple pieces of hardware, Firefox unfortunately is SLOW AS MOLASSES compared to pretty much every other current version of any browser. Opera has nothing that really stands out about it, it's not the fastest, and if I have to go through the same FF routine of add-ons and hacks to get it to work, then what's the point?

And what's with all the comments about Iron being some kind of bad thing for using Chromium code folks? You do know FF is old re-built Netscape Navigator right? And that Ubuntu is re-built Debian right? Laughing out Loud!

Good luck on that control thing, Laughing my bobo off! :P

Hakuna Matata y'all, lighten up! Try it yourselves, what works on my machine might not work for you, maybe you should do the legwork yourselves, do your own testing and see, then you could post an opinion that's actually based in fact, and that would be awesome!
:guitar::guitar::guitar:

*edit* ewwww, just looked at the screenshot you posted, yucky ads, you should try a quality browser for a change, it greatly enriches the experience.

Naiki Muliaina
September 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM
*edit* ewwww, just looked at the screenshot you posted, yucky ads, you should try a quality browser for a change, it greatly enriches the experience.

You should try leaving ads on and helping your fave some sites get some revenue.

Might also want to get that chip on your shoulder seen to. Tis an ugly rugger ;)

roddie
September 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm a long time Opera user and have no need for FireFox's extensions, Opera already has all the functionality included.

Dragynn
September 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM
You should try leaving ads on and helping your fave some sites get some revenue.

Might also want to get that chip on your shoulder seen to. Tis an ugly rugger ;)

So I have a chip on my shoulder because I have an opinion? :)

"Where people wish to attach, they should always be ignorant. To come with a well-informed mind is to come with an inability of administering to the vanity of others which a sensible person would always wish to avoid."
~Jane Austen

I think I see my mistake now. ;)

roddie
September 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Is that true? I thought adblocked content is still downloaded, just not displayed.

Dragynn
September 19th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Ya know, i've heard this expressed by more than one person, and I gotta say, it sounds a little immoral to me, clicking an advertisers ad just to give revenue to someone else, when you have absolutely no real intention of considering that advertisers product, is kinda low-rent.

I usually express my appreciation by a direct donation of MY money, not other peoples money.

Naiki Muliaina
September 19th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Some advertisers pay per view and some by click. I certainly do not advocate clicking any thing to generate site revenue. But there will probably still be the odd advert you see you are interested in. Even if its one a year, for some websites, every click counts.

Is that true? I thought adblocked content is still downloaded, just not displayed.

Depends on the plugin (there appears to be a few now), and the above point still stands there's still something you might like to click on.

Phrea
September 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM

I think blocked content is to be ignored, thus not downloaded.

chessnerd
September 19th, 2010, 07:30 PM
My only complaint about Opera on Ubuntu is that it takes too long to start up. Windows start up is faster and Chrome is faster on both OSs. But I stick with Opera because it is fast, powerful, and feature rich.

I've never had a single pop-up add when using Opera. Ever. Even before I started using the url-filtering feature. So I'm surprised to hear about this. (Not skeptical, just surprised.)

Also, check out the Opera ad-block lists that you can put in the urlfilter.ini file. My personal favorite is Fanboy's Adblock List (http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/), which is updated constantly, but there are others.

In Opera I believe that it isn't even downloaded. The url is completely blocked to the point that vising the ad-site directly brings up nothing, so I don't think that it downloads anything. I think that AdBlock Plus for Firefox and Chrome does download the content, though, but I'm not sure.

Dustin2128
September 19th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Text language? What exactly do you consider text language?

Now I can't speak certain words, can't say that Firefox is slow (it is, everyone knows it).... any other behavior of mine you'd like to control there boss?

I stand by my statements, I have tested all these browsers on multiple pieces of hardware, Firefox unfortunately is SLOW AS MOLASSES compared to pretty much every other current version of any browser. Opera has nothing that really stands out about it, it's not the fastest, and if I have to go through the same FF routine of add-ons and hacks to get it to work, then what's the point?

And what's with all the comments about Iron being some kind of bad thing for using Chromium code folks? You do know FF is old re-built Netscape Navigator right? And that Ubuntu is re-built Debian right? Laughing out Loud!

Hakuna Matata y'all, lighten up! Try it yourselves, what works on my machine might not work for you, maybe you should do the legwork yourselves, do your own testing and see, then you could post an opinion that's actually based in fact, and that would be awesome!

LMAO is text language. While not bad by its self, its a bad habit to get into. I regularly refuse to answer posts containing significant amounts of text language, as do many others. Feel free to say firefox is slow- in all honesty, the stable version is much slower than chromium or opera (I'm using 4 beta 6). But calling it 'fizzlefox' is bashing. I don't mind that Iron is built on chromium source code, sharing is the entire point of free software. What I mind is that they go in, change names and comments and adjust a few settings while disabling others, and market themselves as 'iron, the browser of the future' (especially since they lag behind chromium in development), they should call themselves a fork, rather. And I will try iron as soon as the source becomes available for download, just so I can form an educated opinion.

As for that last bit of bashing, the above screenshot was with adblock disabled. Here's one with adblock.

Dragynn
September 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Also, check out the Opera ad-block lists that you can put in the urlfilter.ini file. My personal favorite is Fanboy's Adblock List (http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/), which is updated constantly, but there are others.

Agreed on fanboy's list, that's what is enabled in my FF, and it's actually the only list currently offered for Iron (they are still developing the Linux versions, a new one is due out soon according to the website), works really well.

Dragynn
September 19th, 2010, 08:59 PM
LMAO is text language. While not bad by its self, its a bad habit to get into. I regularly refuse to answer posts containing significant amounts of text language, as do many others. Feel free to say firefox is slow- in all honesty, the stable version is much slower than chromium or opera (I'm using 4 beta 6). But calling it 'fizzlefox' is bashing. I don't mind that Iron is built on chromium source code, sharing is the entire point of free software. What I mind is that they go in, change names and comments and adjust a few settings while disabling others, and market themselves as 'iron, the browser of the future' (especially since they lag behind chromium in development), they should call themselves a fork, rather. And I will try iron as soon as the source becomes available for download, just so I can form an educated opinion.

As for that last bit of bashing, the above screenshot was with adblock disabled. Here's one with adblock.

Aw c'mon, really? "Fizzle-Fox" got your dander up? seriously? sensitive much? over a browser?

wow. I mean really...do you work for Mozilla or something?

seriously? I can't say "Fizzle-Fox"?

so just hypothetically, if i were to say "Biggus Dickus", would that be a problem as well?
:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

howefield
September 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Keep it on topic, niggling away at your respondents will only get your thread closed.

Dragynn
September 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Keep it on topic, niggling away at your respondents will only get your thread closed.

Please close it and delete it before some other overly sensitive fanboy gets their feelings hurt by a truthful review of their product, if there's one thing I can't stand, it's cultish behavior over products.

Thank you Mod!

Legendary_Bibo
September 19th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Please close it and delete it before some other overly sensitive fanboy gets their feelings hurt by a truthful review of their product, if there's one thing I can't stand, it's cultish behavior over products.

Thank you Mod!

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

howefield
September 19th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Please close it...

OK, done.

The thread feels like it has run its course.

Thread closed.