PDA

View Full Version : facepalm

Goolie
September 18th, 2010, 04:26 PM
So, I've been studying from a book about linux command lines, and it supposed to help you out with your Linux+ certification. Well, I'm going along, learning about chmod, chown, ls, cd, mkdir, recursive, text filters, oh it was just exciting.

Until I rebooted my PC and got a good ol'

"There is a problem with the configuration server. (/usr/lib/libconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256).

So, I'm all like. . hrm? And my GUI won't load.

So, I head over to the forums like a good kid and search. I see a bunch of responses and one of them mentions the /tmp folder. Hrm. . .

So I jump over to the terminal (as that's the only way I can log in to the system) and that works.

Turns out this damned book decided throwing

chmod -R ugo-rwx /tmp
Touche, little book of learning. You got me.

Fixed the permissions, but I kind of feel silly for doing this. Why would they even put that in this damned book? haha, if I didn't have at least a slight clue about what happened, i'd be pissed!

:facepalm:

ubunterooster
September 18th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I really hoped you contacted the author/publisher. This could cause a lawsuit in many cases if it happened to the wrong person. I hope they fix the error for later publications

red_Marvin
September 18th, 2010, 05:37 PM
It might be a typo, or it might be a tough love way of teaching you not to enter commands that you haven't analyzed. It is pretty benign, I mean it could have been a command that overwrites the kernel and whatnot - so I would not attribute it to malice, for that reason, and for the fact that it is in a book, where the author is easily traced.
I actually think it's good that it was put there, now you'll pay more attention. (:

Goolie
September 19th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I didn't think it was malicious, and I don't know if they intended it to be so, I mean, I did get the thorough learning of permissions and what not with this experience. So the curveball just might be a little twist. A twist down a path of learning! I'll toss them an e-mail, just to see a response.

ubunterooster
September 19th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Excellent. Just give us the response, if you wish.

Goolie
September 19th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Excellent. Just give us the response, if you wish.

wilco! i'll ask them if they can post their response here!

:)