PDA

View Full Version : Is google data mining with Android?I

waloshin
September 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I've heard that some apps are stealing people's information like cell phone numbers, text messages, browsing history ect.

Do you think Google is doing the same as a market research project especially for Google Ads? How to target their ads, where ect.

hyperAura
September 18th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Since google is cooperating with the NSA, what you've heard does not sound strange at all..

NCLI
September 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Since Android is Open Source, I'm sure one of the many custom ROM developers would have noticed any such activity.

In short: No.

ubunterooster
September 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I've heard that some apps are stealing people's information like cell phone numbers, text messagesI don't think they are doing this
browsing history, ect.This, quite likely

Do you think Google is doing the same as a market research project especially for Google Ads? How to target their ads, where ect.Possibly, but it's not healthy to be paranoid so I'll just say "NO" and hope it is true

Android is not all Open;for an Open alternative see: http://code.google.com/p/open-android-alliance/

Dragynn
September 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Wouldn't surprise me, the goog has gone over to the dark side, I wouldn't use Chrome either, try Iron, it's Chrome without the spyware, works like a charm on almost any flavor of Linux.

cascade9
September 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Wouldn't surprise me, the goog has gone over to the dark side, I wouldn't use Chrome either, try Iron, it's Chrome without the spyware, works like a charm on almost any flavor of Linux.

Google has ALWAYS been 'on the dark side'. You dont come up with slogans like 'dont be evil' unless you've got something on your mind..... I wont even go into the reputed relationship with US 'inteligence' services.

If you've not going to trust Google (which I dont) then trusting Iron isnt the best idea either IMO. Just use a different browser.

*edit- ubunterrooster- its not paranoia if they really are after you,a dn if they ARE after you ignoring the problem just makes it worse. Take it from somebody who has had people (not multinational corporations thankfully) after him ;)

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Wow, tinfoil ahoy.

Calash
September 18th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Wow, tinfoil ahoy.

This, thout I prefer to tie balls of tinfoil to a string and run it randomly around the doors and windows. This way I get the protection without the tin hat hair.

Paqman
September 18th, 2010, 03:03 PM
it's Chrome without the spyware

Pray tell, what spyware does Chrome contain, exactly?

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
September 18th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Let's back up one step.
You're sending voice, text, pictures (maybe VERY personal), and browsing the web over an unencrypted radio wave... and you're worried that GOOGLE might be collecting information?

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Let's back up one step.
You're sending voice, text, pictures (maybe VERY personal), and browsing the web over an unencrypted radio wave... and you're worried that GOOGLE might be collecting information?

Good luck hacking CDMA. GSM on the other hand - old tech, already hacked.

Paqman
September 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM
over an unencrypted radio wave

GSM and 3G are encrypted. GSM encryption has definitely been cracked and there seem to be some chinks in the armour of 3G, but that not quite the same as being unencrypted.

ubunterooster
September 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Let's back up one step.
You're sending voice, text, pictures (maybe VERY personal), and browsing the web over an encrypted radio wave... and you're worried that GOOGLE might be collecting information?
yep

Dragynn
September 18th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Pray tell, what spyware does Chrome contain, exactly?

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

A comparison chart.

Though with Google's history, I really didn't need an in-depth explanation to know I would be monitored if I used their browser.

Frogs Hair
September 18th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Google doesn't need spyware they have EULA . read before checking the box as with any EULA.

bouncingwilf
September 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Hmm.. it's not whether I'm being paranoid - it's whether I'm being paranoid enough!

fatality_uk
September 18th, 2010, 05:28 PM
As a newly appointed associated member of the New World Order, I am reporting this thread, in particular those questioning the motives of our glorious leaders Mr. Brin, Mr. Page & Mr. Schmidt and seeing that Google gave us all your IP's & WIFI MAC Addresses, expect a knock at your doors in exactly 90 seconds!

markp1989
September 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I dont think google are monitoring my android mobile, T-Mobile on the other hand...

MrNatewood
September 18th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I think the question should be 'Is anyone surprised that google is data mining with android?'

ubunterooster
September 18th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I dont think google are monitoring my android mobile, T-Mobile on the other hand...

Okay, yes I know it was a spelling mistake but it made me think of Google as a collective *cough* The Borg *cough*

'Is anyone surprised that google is data mining with android?'No, not really

aysiu
September 18th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Okay, yes I know it was a spelling mistake but it made me think of Google as a collective *cough* The Borg *cough* I think that's in American grammar. I believe in British grammar it is correct to refer in the plural to a group composed of many individuals. Can any non-American grammar geeks confirm this?

Paqman
September 19th, 2010, 05:59 PM

A comparison chart.

Though with Google's history, I really didn't need an in-depth explanation to know I would be monitored if I used their browser.

None of that is spyware. Those are either opt-in features or don't track anything personally identifiable. And lacking an update mechanism in Windows is hardly something to big up as a feature.

pwnst*r
September 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM

A comparison chart.

Maybe you need to re-examine the definition of spyware.

Elfy
September 19th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I think that's in American grammar. I believe in British grammar it is correct to refer in the plural to a group composed of many individuals. Can any non-American grammar geeks confirm this?

Not sure I'd count as a grammar geek - but it does look/sound correct to me.

phrostbyte
September 19th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I don't really like the American grammar on this. It makes it seem like corporations are one entity, when I know bigger FOSS zealots then myself who got jobs at Microsoft. :)

smellyman
September 19th, 2010, 06:31 PM
i don't trust google at all and don't use their products.

Dustin2128
September 19th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Let's back up one step.
this^

Since Android is Open Source, I'm sure one of the many custom ROM developers would have noticed any such activity.
this^

although, some of Motorola's phones are getting tivoized, stopping you from loading custom or even vanilla versions of android.