PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu Server 10.04 with software RAID

Ellutu
September 17th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I recently assembled a small pc with two 2TB harddisks to set up as a home server, and I figured I'd install Ubuntu Server 10.04 on it. As simple as that sounds I'm pretty close to restructuring the machine with a kitchen knife ;-).

Oh well, the situation: The data on the server will mainly consist of backups so I'd like the disks configured in RAID 1, a hardware RAID controller was way over budget/overkill since software raid seemed perfectly sufficient for this purpose. So I downloaded the 64-bit server installer for 10.04, put it on an usb-stick (no optical drive in the machine) using the usb-creator tool. Everything goes perfectly well up to the partition editor. I try to create the partitions I want for the RAID configuration, but I cannot switch the boot-flag to on when I select "physical volume for raid". When trying to switch it briefly shows a progress bar and it's still set to off. I got this problem in both the 8.10 and 10.04 installers (I figured I'd try configuring in a different version, but no luck).

Right now I just configured the boot partition (and several others) to be on one disk and the data partition the only one configured as RAID-1, which took ages to apply (I actually thought that had crashed too when I started this topic..) but this is far from ideal since I won't be able to boot from disk if one of them fails and it might be a pain to recover the data. I noticed a post with a similar problem here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1407682 with not a single reply, so no help there..

So the question basically is: how do I make a "physical volume for raid" bootable in the installer? Hopefully someone here knows how to solve this.

Ellutu
September 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM
*kick*

Really, no one any thoughts :(?

putz3000
April 17th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I am now having this exact problem with exact sized HD's as yours. My thread has turned into a debate about needing or not needing boot flag. all I know is Grub will not install period. The more looking I do, the more I see this as an issue and yet I do not see it officially addressed. I am following - or attempting to follow - the official Ubuntu Server guide and it is physically impossible to follow those steps and have a two hard drive RAID1 system. Very frustrating for someone who is not well versed in Linux to get through this experience.