PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to uninstall server GUI desktop

SarAmyKay
September 17th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Newbie question... I am trying to make the switch to Linux from Windows. In doing so, I am slowly learning Ubuntu by installing a web server and trying to remotely manage it from anywhere possible. The goal is to set up an inexpensive security camera system using ZoneMinder.

I installed the desktop GUI and after several hours waiting for this to install, I would rather use the command line option (which allows me more flexibilty - IMO) since the PC is old and not very fast.

How can I uninstall the desktop GUI on the server? It automatically boots to the GUI and I tried to run the remove command from the terminal services. But no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

ajgreeny
September 17th, 2010, 09:45 PM
If you installed the standard gnome ubuntu-desktop package you can possibly remove it again by following the info in the link below, though I am not too sure about using it in your situation. Normally it is used after installing, for example, gnome on a kde desktop kubuntu OS, where the command will return you too pure kde, and simply remove all traces of gnome. It may be a bit too much when you need just a server remaining, but I am not sure.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde