PDA

View Full Version : dink boxee box

sandyd
September 17th, 2010, 08:56 PM
^^anyone getting it?

BrokenKingpin
September 17th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I would prefer my own build home media server, as it is completely open and I can put whatever I want on it (currently Ubuntu).

It looks sort of cool if you just want something that will fit most your home media server needs out of the box without needing any technical knowledge to get setup.

Also, the case looks cool, but not practical for fitting into an entertainment unit.

Dustin2128
September 17th, 2010, 11:39 PM
i would prefer my own build home media server, as it is completely open and i can put whatever i want on it (currently ubuntu).

It looks sort of cool if you just want something that will fit most your home media server needs out of the box without needing any technical knowledge to get setup.

Also, the case looks cool, but not practical for fitting into an entertainment unit.
+1

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I would prefer my own build home media server, as it is completely open and I can put whatever I want on it (currently Ubuntu).

You did all that for $200? I'd like to see that parts list. Please don't include hardware that was "laying around".

pwnst*r
September 18th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Still adding it up I presume.

murderslastcrow
September 18th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Well, since they're switching to a 32-bit processor, why not? I assume I could install Ubuntu on it, of course.

oldsoundguy
September 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM
It runs open source software from what I have read .. not needed in my room as my Blu-Ray player is on my home net already and it does almost every thing that the Boxee does except the "social networking" .. and I suspect they will add that in an update (java based software). AND it cost me 1/2 of what they are charging for the Boxee and I can play any video format ON IT!!

BrokenKingpin
October 1st, 2010, 09:19 PM
You did all that for $200? I'd like to see that parts list. Please don't include hardware that was "laying around".
Where did I say I did it for 200 bucks? I said that I prefer my server because of the level of control I have over it. I wasn't telling you that my solution was better for you...

fatality_uk
October 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM
Where did I say I did it for 200 bucks? I said that I prefer my server because of the level of control I have over it. I wasn't telling you that my solution was better for you...

You didn't. pwnst*r was refering to the current list price $199 and £199 here in the UK (Eh!) And of course under pwnst*r rules, you can't possibly use anything lying around!! But that's ok, there's no HD in there so that will save you a few bucks. You can't record of course using Boxee, but hey. $199 for a YouTube/web browser, er I mean live media centre.

pwnst*r
October 1st, 2010, 11:44 PM
Look, it's my #1 fan.

Kdar
October 2nd, 2010, 02:39 AM
I think your own build is better too. You can put there what you want and how you want it. I can switch to whatever I want, maybe Boxee for a while and XBMC a bit later.
More control, like person few posts above said.

linuxgeoff
January 20th, 2012, 04:00 AM
without a doubt, build your own. The restrictions that D-Link have implemented at the demand of numerous content providers makes the boxee box a waster of money. Wish I'd bought a nettop instead.

1roxtar
January 20th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I bought the Roku LT. It's only $49.00 and it works great. It's small and doesn't get in the way. Plus, since Boxee dropped Linux support on the desktop, I quickly lost interest in ever buying a Boxee Box.