PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Quick Uninstal Question before I make the leap to Linux

AlanŽ
September 17th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hi guys. Been toying with the idea of making the jump to linux and I think I'm ready to try it but before I do, I would like to know that if on the off the chance that Linux isnt my cup of tea can i simply use the ThinkVantage tools to just revert my laptop back to simply having vista and only vista? For those that don't know ThinkVantage is the tools lenovo puts on their thinkpads to rever back to factory settings. Thanks in advance.

ajgreeny
September 17th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Why not dual boot both OSs until you are sure about using ubuntu with no windows backup for when you are completely stuck?

Try that for a while and then when you are happy that ubuntu can do all you want and need, you can delete the windows partition and make a new partition to use in ubuntu, or even enlarge your main ubuntu partition to use the free space, though that is a bit more of a palaver.

As far as the ThinkVantage tools are concerned, I have no idea, though it is a possibility that ThinkVantage may not be able to even see your disk with ubuntu on until you have totally wiped it clean, just like a windows install CD will not see a disk with linux on it.

AlanŽ
September 17th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Yea just trying to figure out what my options are for removing Ubuntu if I don't like it because I don't have a Vista disk.

aytech
September 17th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Thats the easiest part. you'll just login to Vista and format the partition with Ubuntu (in case you go for dual-boot)

AlanŽ
September 17th, 2010, 08:51 PM
oh ok for some reason I thought it was going to be an absolute pain in the *** to remove. How do I set it up to dual boot during the instalation process?

Darkness Des
September 17th, 2010, 08:53 PM
When it asks about how to arrange the two on the hard drive, just choose one of the options that keeps Vista on there and the installer will do the rest.

AlanŽ
September 17th, 2010, 09:01 PM
at what point in the process does it ask about that. it only asked me about the instalation size and which drive. using the windows installer. thanks for the help guys really helping me out here

aytech
September 17th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Check this (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid#Dual-Booting_Windows_and_Ubuntu)out. There's more stuff you might find useful there