PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to boot into windows

prasenjit007
September 17th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Hi Everyone...

First of all i know am not supposed to post threads about other linux os..but since mint linux is based on ubuntu am askin this question...

I first installed mint linux 9...then installed windows xp ( I know windows should always be installed first..bt i had to do that in this order). Anyways after i installed windows i rebooted my system. So now i can no longer boot into mint linux. so i inserted mint linux live cd..opened the terminal and typed in the following..

sudo fdisk -l
-----> I came to knew that mint linux is installed in /dev/sda1. and windows xp is in /dev/sda2.

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

---->I got the following output:

grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot (is /dev mounted?).
Installation finished. No error reported.

Now the problem is i can boot into mint linux without any problem but i can't boot in windows..
plz help me..i need windows n linux both..how can i fix this?

Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks in advance..

drs305
September 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM
First, if you don't have Windows in the Grub menu, run:

sudo update-grub

If you do, but it won't boot from the Grub menu, normally following the steps in this guide gets Windows booting again along with retaining Grub:
How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708)

prasenjit007
September 17th, 2010, 07:51 PM
using live cd or from within mint linux?

drs305
September 17th, 2010, 07:55 PM
using live cd or from within mint linux?

To update Grub2, you would run that command after your normal boot as long as mint is booting correctly.

prasenjit007
September 17th, 2010, 08:15 PM
To update Grub2, you would run that command after your normal boot as long as mint is booting correctly.

Thanks a lot drs305.
It worked successfully. I must say today I learned something.
Thanks once again..:)

drs305
September 17th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Only been on the forum a few weeks and already have figured out the command line and "SOLVED"! Looks like you are off to a great start.

Happy Ubuntu-ing (even if it's Mint). :guitar: