PDA

View Full Version : Intel confirms leaked HDCP master key is legit

sprocket10
September 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I didn't see a thread like this, so:

Intel confirms the key posted earlier this week ( http://pastebin.com/kqD56TmU ) is legit ( http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369280,00.asp )

Will be interesting to see how this plays out!

endotherm
September 17th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'm sure the jerks will now want the FCC to grant them greater ability to turn off our media equipment's features, now that SOC is kind of pointless.

handy
September 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM
People have been ripping Blu-Ray movies for some time.

I wonder whether someone will use this information to enable the copying of PS3 games?

kamaboko
September 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Looks like potentially more activity at the Bay in a while.

lukeiamyourfather
September 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM
What! Encryption meant to protect media has failed? :-({|=

:lolflag:

Bachstelze
September 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Probably won't change anything at all. Just like CSS for DVDs, the majority of people won't even know it has been broken, so the industry will just keep on using it.

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/understanding-hdcp-master-key-leak

endotherm
September 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
People have been ripping Blu-Ray movies for some time.

I wonder whether someone will use this information to enable the copying of PS3 games?
certainly the video output, but since the logic is processed prior to output rendering, you wouldn't be able to rip playable games. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in recording their gaming sessions.

endotherm
September 17th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Probably won't change anything at all. Just like CSS for DVDs, the majority of people won't even know it has been broken, so the industry will just keep on using it.

not to mention, software sinking is probably not going to happen any time soon, so it will probably lead to some home-brew and black-market capture devices, but not a panacea like DVDDecryptor.

lukeiamyourfather
September 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM

This doesn't have anything to do with PS3 games. HDCP was created so people couldn't record video feeds from DVI/HDMI if the content was protected (most paid streaming content, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, etc.). What the leaked master key allows is for people to create unofficial devices that can record or playback an encrypted video stream from DVI/HDMI.

FuturePilot
September 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM
HDCP != Blu-Ray.
Blu-Ray uses AACS. HDCP is used to encrypt the stream from the player to the display.

Bachstelze
September 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
HDCP != Blu-Ray.
Blu-Ray uses AACS. HDCP is used to encrypt the stream from the player to the display.

Who said HDCP == Blu-ray?

endotherm
September 17th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Who said HDCP == Blu-ray?
some of the news coverage has been making that mis-association.

Bachstelze
September 17th, 2010, 06:14 PM
some of the news coverage has been making that mis-association.

That's why I only follow very few sources for tech-related news (I linked one of them earlier). Most of them don't know what they are talking about most of the time.

FuturePilot
September 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
That's why I only follow very few sources for tech-related news (I linked one of them earlier). Most of them don't know what they are talking about most of the time.

Indeed.

Dustin2128
September 17th, 2010, 10:47 PM

Which is honestly the best thing that could've happened, we reap all the benefits of it being broken and the industry continues using it anyway. Down with DRM!

+1

Bachstelze
September 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
we reap all the benefits of it being broken

I don't think we're going to see benefits any time soon, if ever. Even with the key, a "capture" solution won't be trivial to implement.

handy
September 17th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I don't think we're going to see benefits any time soon, if ever. Even with the key, a "capture" solution won't be trivial to implement.

Perhaps someone will put the schematics up & the firmware to use with an eprom, or some such thing? A home brew solution.

[Edit:] Or a pass through cable end connector that took a flash card. The manufacturer could possibly get away with selling the adapter, the buyer then uses their own flash card & downloads the firmware from wherever it is available in the world of the internet.

Dustin2128
September 17th, 2010, 11:10 PM
so please fill me in, what exactly is now possible since HDCP is cracked? If I understand it correctly, it means we'll be able to play video from an HD source to any type of monitor, authorized or not. Is that right?

Bachstelze
September 17th, 2010, 11:19 PM
so please fill me in, what exactly is now possible since HDCP is cracked? If I understand it correctly, it means we'll be able to play video from an HD source to any type of monitor, authorized or not. Is that right?

Did you read the link I posted?

Dustin2128
September 17th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Did you read the link I posted?
ahh, that explains it. Thank you.
But in the end, (besides HD costs coming down, intel can't sue everyone who uses the crack) what is the practical upshot?

Bachstelze
September 17th, 2010, 11:47 PM
But in the end, (besides HD costs coming down, intel can't sue everyone who uses the crack) what is the practical upshot?

HD will not come down. Intel can't sue everyone who uses the "crack" but they can sue the company that makes them. HDCP cannot be implemented in software, and hardware is much more difficult and costly to make and distribute.

formaldehyde_spoon
September 20th, 2010, 07:06 AM

It means it is now *possible* for people to record movies sold over PPV before DVD release with their DVR (and make them available as a torrent).