PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Native linux spotify has distorted, clipping sound wuality in offline mode

Walther -FI-
September 17th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I recently bought a monthful of Spotify Premium to enjoy music at the school with my laptop and Nokia E71 with the offline mode - the WiFi at our school is too laggy to stream online music. Under wine, it works quite fine, however, I would totally like to use the native client (yes, I'm too a "yay linux" person like all of you here ;) ), but the music quality is very poor on offline mode. It clips, goes forward, a second back, then back forward etc. The bitrate sounds to be high, an the quality is very good except the annoying clipping.

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 Beta release with Samsung N510 so the cpu power should not be an issue even though the native client uses the resources very greedily. Interesting enough, on my desktop computer (Core2Quad @ 3,3GHz, 4GB 900MHz DDR2 RAM) with the same OS version and software plays offline playlists smoothly (only some occasional clipping)

Thank you in advance,

Walther

[EDIT: Corrected some typing errors.]

Walther -FI-
September 22nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
*bump* Still having the problem, am I the only one?

meerk
September 23rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
I'm impressed that you've got the Linux version of Spotify working in Maverick.

http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/spotify_for_linux_segfaults_under_ubuntu_maverick_ beta_upcoming_10_10 (http://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/spotify_for_linux_segfaults_under_ubuntu_maverick_ beta_upcoming_10_10)

I can't get it to work at all because of the above error. However I have noticed that when using 10.10 I am getting distorted clipping sound in other apps with my Toshiba Satellite.

It only happens briefly at the beginning of a sound.

Walther -FI-
September 24th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Hello,

I've noticed segfaulting IF you move your mouse to the lists on the side BEFORE it has loaded the default view OR if you move your mouse over the library/local files tab at any time. I just wait the couple seconds it needs to load the default view, then scroll nicely down to my own playlists or use search.

But apart from the sound clipping on offline mode for the first 5 minutes after opening Spotify, no complaints. Works out-of-the-box at least with me, and thank god finally Spotify with sub-pixel smoothed fonts :P

--
Walther @ train for 650km, listening to native Spotify offline again <3