PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop or Server with GUI?

WhiteElephant
September 17th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I am considering Ubuntu for a server but due to lack of experience I need a GUI to work with. Should I install Ubuntu Desktop, or Ubuntu Server with Gnome?

e79
September 17th, 2010, 01:56 AM
If you are seeking to build a Ubuntu Server with a GUI, I suggest you look at this post :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI

I personally would not recommend using the desktop as a production server (depends on your needs) since there is a lot of apps you would not need/use. I like to install only what I need on my servers, nothing more.

Just a thought :p

WhiteElephant
September 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM
OK Thanks.

I'll have a practice in VM before I start.

kaldor
September 17th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Be sure to get a basic grasp on the terminal. It's not truly needed, but it will make life easier once you get the hang of it. I hated using the terminal at first, but now I tend to use it even with basic computer usage to copy/move/delete files instead of manually clicking and dragging/etc all the time.

It's pretty easy to learn :)

Depends on what you want to do, though. Maybe CentOS would be a better choice for you. The install media lets you choose between a server and a desktop on installation and it's pretty well the standard when it comes to Linux servers.

lestat6205
September 17th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I just installed ubuntu server for my home its not that hard and I use ebox for the managing my server. Terminal is not that hard to learn, but is difficult if you dont want to learn it. Just keep an open mind you will start to learn commands and remember Google is your friend you can find any command on there and always come to this forum. I am new to ubuntu and I always go here or google.