PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Custom Shortcuts in Terminal II

de Bacon
September 17th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Having read the thread "Custom Shortcuts in Terminal?" I want to take that one step farther if I can. It seems that I am often changing directories, and now with 10.04 the drives listed in "/media" have unique alpha-numeric strings that are quite long, impossible to remember. So I tried the template provided by uRock in that thread,

rabbit@rabbit-desktop:~$ alias now=date
rabbit@rabbit-desktop:~$ now
Thu Sep 16 15:41:26 PDT 2010
rabbit@rabbit-desktop:~$
by doing the following
zip@zirp:$ alias 457=cd /media/12121212121-fkfi15151
to find that it didn't work. Something to do with the space in the command between cd and /, though I could be totally mistaken.
I do know. It would be nice to have a shorter ID set or unique symbolic names for all my HDDs on the system at times rather than these long strings of nonsense but logical characters.

sisco311
September 17th, 2010, 12:48 AM
You have to quote the command:

alias 457='cd /media/12121212121-fkfi15151'

But, labeled devices that are automatically mounted will be mounted in the /media directory using their label as the mount point, /media/<label>.

To change the label of a partition, go to System -> Administration -> Disk Utility.

de Bacon
September 17th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Well that is great, thank you.

I just read the story of sisyphus as presented in wikipedia (a very abridged version). I am not a reader having a learning disability, but I can have the computer read for me. That is a great story in short form. Thanks for putting that link in your signature.
And thanks again for the tips. I will investigate changing the disk names, that would be probably the easiest method for the long haul.
:)

sisco311
September 17th, 2010, 01:32 AM
You're welcome!

One must imagine Sisyphus happy is the unofficial motto of the Count to 200 - BEFORE MOD RESETS BACK TO ONE! thread. My favorite game. :)

uRock
September 17th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Well that is great, thank you.

I just read the story of sisyphus as presented in wikipedia (a very abridged version). I am not a reader having a learning disability, but I can have the computer read for me. That is a great story in short form. Thanks for putting that link in your signature.
And thanks again for the tips. I will investigate changing the disk names, that would be probably the easiest method for the long haul.
:)
I remember Xena doing an episode about Sisyphus.:)