PDA

View Full Version : Would you use IE9 if it was able to run on Linux

brydonhunter
September 16th, 2010, 08:41 PM
it would be interesting until I got the first IE virus...

Half-Left
September 16th, 2010, 08:42 PM
No way!

NCLI
September 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM
...Were you trying to make a poll? Anyway, no. I need my Firefox plugins.
:KS

pwnst*r
September 16th, 2010, 08:43 PM
it would be interesting until I got the first IE virus...

Good one. Man, that's comedy right there.

M93
September 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM
i'd give it a try, why not?
they've given it a sense of chrome (in appearance) so it might have some of its performance :D

98cwitr
September 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM
hell & no!

brydonhunter
September 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM
was trying to make a poll... next time I won't use IE to create it :D

98cwitr
September 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM
chrome > *

dolphin194
September 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Who would want to anyway?

kaldor
September 16th, 2010, 08:52 PM
What would be the point in using IE..? If I were to develop websites and such it would be a good tool to check for compatability, but nothing more. Microsoft always hypes up their latest products. IE9 is just going to lag behind, hold everything back, and annoy web developers.

Best bet would be for them to start fresh; IE failed.

gradinaruvasile
September 16th, 2010, 08:56 PM
The horror... The horror...

beew
September 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Before you laugh there are actually threads by people inquiring how to run IE version x in WINE and they sound really desperate. No, they are not web developers. :)

beetleman64
September 16th, 2010, 09:15 PM
No. I wouldn't even bother if I was using Windows since i know it will not be as good as Firefox or Chrome. And also IE is generally -

Old Marcus
September 16th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I would. Partly for compatibility checks and also because I've been using it over the past day or so and I am finding it pretty nice to use.

Now excuse me while I get torn to pieces by brainwashed ubuntu tarts.

MooPi
September 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM
No way!

This :-)

murderslastcrow
September 16th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I have used it on Linux. And ZOMG NO! Why WOULD you? The people who use it do it just because it's what was there when they got the computer. If they were shown Firefox or Chrome, I doubt they would stay unless they're afraid of new things. Many people are.

If it's not Microsoft, it's not official enough for them, some people.

Rasa1111
September 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
No way!

lol, my sentiments exactly.

I honestly think I would go to permanently using the lynks browser from terminal before i used IE.
I would sacrifice the pretty pictures and videos, and use only a text based browser. lol
IE, imho, is that bad.

So not a chance.

scouser73
September 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
no way!

+1

KiwiNZ
September 16th, 2010, 09:41 PM
If MS released a Linux version I would try it. I would not mess with Wine as I don't use Wine.

whiskeylover
September 16th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Unless you're a webdev, what possible advantage can you get from running IE in Wine on Linux?

Rasa1111
September 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM
the only "advantage" would probably be that they wouldn't have to "figure out" a new browser. lol

like people running "irfanview" under WINE to crop photos. lol. :lol:

andymorton
September 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Not a chance. Internet Explorer is without doubt the worst web browser I've ever used. With Firefox, Chromium/Chrome and Opera (all of them are far superior to IE) I don't see the point in using it.

KiwiNZ
September 16th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Not a chance. Internet Explorer is without doubt the worst web browser I've ever used. With Firefox, Chromium/Chrome and Opera (all of them are far superior to IE) I don't see the point in using it.

Have you used IE9?

Old Marcus
September 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM
In some ways, I find using IE9 to be a better experience than FF4. (Shock! Horror!) Although this is mainly due to the fact that IE doesn't screw up the display when scrolling over flash videos. When comparing two betas, I find IE9 to be better quality wise atm, although you can't really judge it until the final release.

fatality_uk
September 16th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I might. Depends on how good it is.

dinamic1
September 16th, 2010, 10:10 PM
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pookiebear
September 16th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I would use it to show how I could get a virus on a linux box, or as an example of what NOT to do. Then format and reload fresh.

All the web devs I work with curse MS as the testing of a site takes 4 times the testing time for IE as testing with other browser to make sure a new page/code is working. And yes they are testing with 9

pookiebear
September 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I would use it to show how I could get a virus on a linux box, or as an example of what NOT to do. Then format and reload fresh.

All the web devs I work with curse MS as the testing of a site takes 4 times the testing time for IE as testing with other browser to make sure a new page/code is working. And yes they are testing with 9

pookiebear
September 16th, 2010, 10:16 PM
please clean this, holy triple post batman! sorry my internet went down with this was posting.

ubunterooster
September 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I had to use IE recently. I hated it. To much focus on being pretty. I think the programs and UI should stay out of the way.

cgroza
September 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I'll keep this in mind if I want to ruin my life.

Old Marcus
September 16th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but some people here appear to be confusing IE8 with IE9. The latter's interface is far more usable and less intrusive than the former's, and although I haven't looked too deeply yet, web standards support appears to be in good condition.

Unfortunately, despite how orgasmic IE9 may be, a lot of people are still on IE6/7/8, which means web devs' troubles aren't over yet.

KiwiNZ
September 16th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most people here appear to be confusing IE8 with IE9. The latter's interface is far more usable and less intrusive than the former's, and although I haven't looked too deeply yet, web standards support appears to be in good condition.

Unfortunately, despite how orgasmic IE9 may be, a lot of people are still on IE6/7/8, which means web devs' troubles aren't over yet.

I am not confused I D/L'd the IE9 Beta yesterday and ran in Win 7 during the evening . First impressions were very favourable.

Old Marcus
September 16th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Sorry, I'll change 'most' to 'some'. My mistake. :P

jjakspaw6
September 17th, 2010, 12:01 AM
I don't think so..... but in the world of tech support I must eventually give in and learn it..... cause there are far too many people in the world that do not know better to stay away from that miserable piece of junk!!

But if it weren't for the intellectually challenged people, willing to pay $$ me.... I wouldnt have a job.

personally, it will not be installed in my home network or office network... just on a crash PCs.

icechen1
September 17th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Honestly though, Microsoft scored an good job on this one, even though it's still lacking in some aspects, like an ad blocker or spell checker that actually works.

pwnst*r
September 17th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I'll keep this in mind if I want to ruin my life.

If that "ruins your life", perhaps you need to get out more.

whiskeylover
September 17th, 2010, 12:05 AM

Either you have no idea of how computers work, or you're just trying to troll. There is no way you can get a virus running anything in wine. At most, it will infect your wine environment, but there is no way it can affect your linux installation.

KiwiNZ
September 17th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I don't think so..... but in the world of tech support I must eventually give in and learn it..... cause there are far too many people in the world that do not know better to stay away from that miserable piece of junk!!

But if it weren't for the intellectually challenged people, willing to pay $$ me.... I wouldnt have a job.

personally, it will not be installed in my home network or office network... just on a crash PCs.

Nice , you insult your customers :rolleyes:

Half-Left
September 17th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Honestly though, Microsoft scored an good job on this one, even though it's still lacking in some aspects, like an ad blocker or spell checker that actually works.

The browser is shockingly bad because it's still stuck in the 90s still trying to hold their monopoly up. 15 years later and Microsoft have failed to produce a browser that's crossplatform. It's a decent browser on the standards side only because of competition, not because Microsoft decided to get to 2010.

ZarathustraDK
September 17th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Answer: No I wouldn't use it.

Reason: It's evil[1].

[1] I'm a philosopher[2], so I can say it's evil. ;)

[2] An authority on Good & Evil(tm)

Frogs Hair
September 17th, 2010, 12:28 AM
No, I upgraded to IE 9 beta yesterday and I will keep on Windows where it belongs. I think FF 4 will be a nice browser for Linux when completed . I could understand the interest in using IE 9 , if it was needed for a task another browser couldn't do. I know some sites only allow IE.

doorknob60
September 17th, 2010, 12:29 AM
With all the other great open source browser out there, of course not. Unless it was somehow way better than all the other browsers (which it won't be, it might be good, but not better than Firefox and Chrome and stuff).

jjakspaw6
September 17th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Nice , you insult your customers :rolleyes:

I really try not to... honestly. sometimes they can be very frustrating... I'm the nicest guy you'll ever talk to in support....

malspa
September 17th, 2010, 12:37 AM
No, definitely not.

Old Marcus
September 17th, 2010, 12:39 AM
The browser is shockingly bad because it's still stuck in the 90s still trying to hold their monopoly up. 15 years later and Microsoft have failed to produce a browser that's crossplatform. It's a decent browser on the standards side only because of competition, not because Microsoft decided to get to 2010.

Being crossplatform is a minor issue in the scale of things. FF is successful because it is deployed on Windows. If it had ben developed purely for Linux, you and I are the only people who would have heard about it. Windows still commands over 90% of the desktop market, and that isn't likely to change soon.

Of course, back in the 90's and early 2000s, making websites cross browser compatible wasn't an issue either.

Half-Left
September 17th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Being crossplatform is a minor issue in the scale of things. FF is successful because it is deployed on Windows. If it had ben developed purely for Linux, you and I are the only people who would have heard about it. Windows still commands over 90% of the desktop market, and that isn't likely to change soon.

Of course, back in the 90's and early 2000s, making websites cross browser compatible wasn't an issue either.

Well, no, it's not because FF was deploy on Windows, it's because it's a good web browser. Just because you put your software on an OS that commands a big market share doesn't mean it's going to be successful. If you force it on people like IE, then yes.

phrostbyte
September 17th, 2010, 01:22 AM
No

devondashla
September 17th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Last I heard, we had a picture of it. NOW THERE'S A BETA?!

corrytonapple
September 17th, 2010, 02:23 AM
hell & no!
I still don't get it. Please clarify.:p

What would be the point in using IE..? If I were to develop websites and such it would be a good tool to check for compatibility, but nothing more. Microsoft always hypes up their latest products. IE9 is just going to lag behind, hold everything back, and annoy web developers.

Best bet would be for them to start fresh; IE failed.
Use it to test for web developers? I would make the page see if they are using IE and if so tell them to go get a good browser. That means no IE on my site. It is just a wannabe Google Chrome.

devondashla
September 17th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I still don't get it. Please clarify.:p

Use it to test for web developers? I would make the page see if they are using IE and if so tell them to go get a good browser. That means no IE on my site. It is just a wannabe Google Chrome.

Then be prepared to have no webpage visitors, considering as most of the world is using Windows, most of the world is using IE. But, last I heard Firefox is slowly rising against it.

Paul820
September 17th, 2010, 02:47 AM
NO, i used it recently though when fixing a friends computer i downloaded firefox with it. While downloading i was browsing the web and it was like being inside an amusement arcade with all those flashing adverts. I was nearly hypnotised. I'm not saying that's IE's fault, but with firefox i can block all that rubbish out. I prefer the feel and look of firefox, it's the only one i will ever use. I love all the plugins to make browsing easier.

RiceMonster
September 17th, 2010, 03:03 AM
No. I tried it today. It's an improvement once again, but I still prefer Chrome and Firefox.

Giant Speck
September 17th, 2010, 03:13 AM
IE9? Probably. It wouldn't replace Firefox on my Ubuntu install, though.

IE8? Maybe. I'd probably play around with it every now and then.

IE7? Probably not.

IE6? Hell to the no.

Presto123
September 17th, 2010, 04:54 AM
No. I have it on my brand new computer and within a few days, I installed Chrome and never use it except to watch the live Starz channel on Netflix.

RainPhantom
September 17th, 2010, 05:40 AM
No.

Khakilang
September 17th, 2010, 05:51 AM
My Firefox works and I use Chrome as a back up. So why do I need another browser like IE9 which only take up space. Unless it had some super duper features no browser has. Anyway for a normal user like me I don't need extra browser just because its from Microsoft.

Letrazzrot
September 17th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Yes, but only for the 2% of websites that don't work (or don't work well) with FF. The dreaded "This site requires IE...." message always angers me, means I will probably have to reboot into Windows just to view it.

v1ad
September 17th, 2010, 06:04 AM
hell & no!

amen.

Dr. C
September 17th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Then be prepared to have no webpage visitors, considering as most of the world is using Windows, most of the world is using IE. But, last I heard Firefox is slowly rising against it.

This is not entirely true one would loose about 60% of visitors by blocking IE according to net applications. http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0. If the site is targeted to GNU / Linux or Mac Users the loss in visitors would be significantly less.

Still how many Webmasters would want to loose 60% of their traffic?

wilee-nilee
September 17th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Nope, I have IE8 removed from my W7 setup, if I need a website to think I have IE I just use the FF addon user agent switcher. Personally I like FF much better all the way around, Opera is not bad as well.

v1ad
September 17th, 2010, 06:38 AM
yes User Agent Switcher FTW..

wilee-nilee
September 17th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Yes, but only for the 2% of websites that don't work (or don't work well) with FF. The dreaded "This site requires IE...." message always angers me, means I will probably have to reboot into Windows just to view it.

user agent switcher in FF addons check it out. I finished off my Student loans application on the web today, wouldn't recognize FF until I made it look like IE7 with the switcher. My College also uses Blackboard Learning System same thing if I leave FF as usual it runs sometimes but, with FF switched to IE it plays along like I'm actually using the IE browser.

pwnst*r
September 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM
No. I have it on my brand new computer and within a few days,

No you didn't.

Rasa1111
September 17th, 2010, 07:13 AM
No you didn't.

lol
what.:-s

Blackra1n
September 17th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Never ever.

reyfer
September 17th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I see all these threads about using MS software, and this and that, "If IE was available"...."If Office was available"......One of the reasons I came to linux was because those were NOT available. If I wanted to use IE9 I would still be on that OS

TNT1
September 17th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't use IE(any version) even if I was on Windows... I'd use FF anywhere.

t0p
September 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM
IE9? Probably. It wouldn't replace Firefox on my Ubuntu install, though.

IE8? Maybe. I'd probably play around with it every now and then.

IE7? Probably not.

IE6? Hell to the no.

But but but what's wrong with IE6?

:p

s.fox
September 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM
As a web developer I probably would use it, though only as a means to see how the pages I create render. I would not use if for non work purposes.

-Silver Fox

zaphod777
September 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet so I will. There are a lot of business applications inside the enterprise that only run on IE. Microsoft's SharePoint is a big one.

I think MS intentionally only makes them compatible with IE to keep the corporate desktop tied in. It is a lot easier ad cheaper to migrate your users to an opensource desktop solution than it is to migrate your whole CMS for the whole company.

If MS was to make IE cross platform they could potentially lose a lot of desktop customers. But I bet the could boast that there is a high demand for IE on Linux from all of the downloads because a lot of people will download it for that blue moon when they need it.

brydonhunter
September 17th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I had to use IE recently. I hated it. To much focus on being pretty. I think the programs and UI should stay out of the way.

That is exactly my feelings about Windows Vista/7... too much eye candy, not enough "getting the job done".

Old Marcus
September 17th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Well, no, it's not because FF was deploy on Windows, it's because it's a good web browser. Just because you put your software on an OS that commands a big market share doesn't mean it's going to be successful. If you force it on people like IE, then yes.

Yes and no, It was successful because it was good, obviously, but my point is no matter how good it was, if it wasn't deployed on Windows as well, it would have been a nonentity.

kamaboko
September 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Sure, I'd take it for a spin. If it performed better than Chrome I'd use it full-time. I don't care much for FF.

BrokenKingpin
September 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Nope, no need to switch from Chromium.

Spice Weasel
September 17th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Never, never, ever should you go for eye candy over functionality.

People made the same mistake with Vista.

alexan
September 17th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Of course I do: I'll make it run out of the window(s)):P

EnGorDiaz
September 17th, 2010, 04:46 PM
In some ways, I find using IE9 to be a better experience than FF4. (Shock! Horror!) Although this is mainly due to the fact that IE doesn't screw up the display when scrolling over flash videos. When comparing two betas, I find IE9 to be better quality wise atm, although you can't really judge it until the final release.

ewwwww but it renders everything directly under gpu load

Toz
September 17th, 2010, 04:48 PM
No

kpkeerthi
September 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
If IE9 ever runs on Linux, it would be the first known Linux virus!

BigCityCat
September 17th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Well I have been trying it out on Win7 just to see what it's like. It's not bad.

What I do like is using Privoxy with it. It makes Ie9 a lot faster.

CandidMan
September 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Saw this (http://newsarse.com/2010/09/16/microsoft-launches-its-latest-way-to-infuriate-internet-users/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Newsarse+%28Newsarse.com%29) and thought it was pertinent, a bit unfair and cynical, but funny.

But, yeah I'd give it a shot. All that market research has got to result in something better(?)

Lucifer The Dark
September 17th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Personally I wouldn't even use it with Windows let alone pollute Linux with it.

Chame_Wizard
September 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM
No thank you.:P

Old Marcus
September 17th, 2010, 09:14 PM
You guys make me laugh, if Microsoft came out with an open source program that was light, speedy, secure, better than anything ever and gave you free sex every hour, people would still hate it. :P Haters gotta hate I suppose.

corrytonapple
September 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Well, I am all for it. Also, realize here, I am not alone. There is someone else on here that does the same thing with IE visitors. Read the rest in my next comment.

This is not entirely true one would loose about 60% of visitors by blocking IE according to net applications. http://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0. If the site is targeted to GNU / Linux or Mac Users the loss in visitors would be significantly less.

Still how many Webmasters would want to loose 60% of their traffic?
MEEEE! Why, because it is a site for Ubuntu problems, Apple Problems, and when I get on, Windows 7 problems. Do I care? No, because people need to realize that there are alternatives. Notice that IE only runs on one of three of my site pages. Anyway, give them reasons and they will take the alternative because they are uneducated about IEs problems and didn't even know there was a different way. Anyway, Microsoft does it. I tried to get on one of their sites and was told I need Windows or Mac. If a big company like them can do it, I can too. I understand that the Ubuntu population is less, but still there is plenty of us out there. When I first turned on my laptop, I went on IE and straight to Firefox's website.

If IE9 ever runs on Linux, it would be the first known Linux virus!
Here is a good reason.

pwnst*r
September 17th, 2010, 09:20 PM
You guys make me laugh, if Microsoft came out with an open source program that was light, speedy, secure, better than anything ever and gave you free sex every hour, people would still hate it. :P Haters gotta hate I suppose.

^This.

Lucradia
September 17th, 2010, 09:23 PM
No, I would not.

roddie
September 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Even if IE9 became available on Linux, I've no need to ever change from Opera.

NCLI
September 17th, 2010, 09:39 PM

I, for one, would use that application. Just like I love and use CUPS despite hating Apple.

alexan
September 17th, 2010, 09:41 PM

Not hater... but if I were you, and knowing Microsoft, I'll try to get more details... at the last for the "free sex every hour" part.
Avoids having to discover that you can not sit for some more weeks.

You never know :p

Dustin2128
September 17th, 2010, 11:23 PM
No. I would still actively discourage use of internet explorer, in fact.

Rasa1111
September 17th, 2010, 11:33 PM

Big IF there.
and you
make me laugh. :lol: :lolflag: lol

ive never used IE,
not even all the years i used windows.
simply because it sucks.
not because MS made it. lol
durpdurp.

Half-Left
September 17th, 2010, 11:37 PM

For starters, it's about principles. I would never use something from Microsoft(that required me to pay them) or support them in any way and the same goes for Apple.

Principles are important and I don't support such companies based on them, so Microsoft can take their IE and well, guess the rest.

KiwiNZ
September 17th, 2010, 11:56 PM

People like Bandwagons, many of the haters have no idea what they are hate or who they hate they just like the Bandwagon.

Rasa1111
September 18th, 2010, 12:54 AM
no way Kiwi~
covered wagons are far better than bandwagons. lol :P

Arex Bawrin
September 18th, 2010, 01:03 AM
This is a great question! I absolutely hate Microsoft but I can't let emotion get involved IF they can put out a great browser that is supposedly 5x faster than Chrome. Competition will only make the open source community work harder to beat M$

Zoot7
September 18th, 2010, 02:31 AM
If it had Firefox's repertoire of add-ons, I don't see why not.

foxxxy
September 18th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Hey, I would try it out, considering that they ported it to Linux? Why not?

Austin25
September 18th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Absolutely not. I want as little as possible to do with Microsoft.

uRock
September 18th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I only opened IE8 once on my W7 install and that was to download Firefox, so the answer is no.

wkhasintha
September 18th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Meh! I don't bother. [-([-(

Sand & Mercury
September 18th, 2010, 04:26 AM
The new version is shaping up really well. If it had the same kind of extensibility like Chrome and FF have, I'd probably use it.

It's funny to note the mere mention of IE on this forum really can bring out the idiot in people.

Presto123
September 18th, 2010, 06:39 AM
No you didn't.

Sorry, sir. You are correct. It is IE8. Nonetheless, they will need to really do some work for me to enjoy it.

V for Vincent
September 18th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I really doubt it. The first thing I do after I've installed windows anywhere is download chrome or firefox or opera. I'll give it a test drive if it pops in because of a windows update, though.

Merk42
September 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
It's funny to note the mere mention of IE on this forum really can bring out the idiot in people.
This. Though pretty much anything by Microsoft.

IE9 could hypothetically support even more features than all browsers combined and be the fastest and be available for Linux and people would still call it bad (most before even trying it) simply because it was made by Microsoft.

Dr. C
September 18th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Here is a site that breaks every version of IE up to IE8. http://www.fsf.org. We will see if IE9 renders the Free Software Foundation's site correctly.

TNT1
September 18th, 2010, 05:25 PM
IE9 could hypothetically support even more features than all browsers combined and be the fastest and be available for Linux and people would still call it bad (most before even trying it) simply because it was made by Microsoft.

I'd try it. Same as I tried Chrome, Chromium, Midori, Ice Weasel, Safari, and so on. I just always seem to go back to FF or Konqueror. Not cause I think MS is the source of all evil, but cause I like the way I work with those browsers. The same way I use Ubuntu, I like the way I work with it, and it works with me, not cause there is anything wrong with choosing to use windows.

Dragynn
September 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM
It won't even work on Windows XP, which is still the most widely used operating system in existence, THEIR OWN BROWSER WON'T EVEN WORK ON THEIR OWN OS!

Shoot no i'm not gonna try it, not on linux, not on anything, i've used previous versions of IE, and it's been outclassed junk since IE7. MS keeps trying to kill XP to get people to buy their new stuff, first with service pack 3, then with "no more support" statements, now this...planned purposeful obsolescence so they can rake in more dough.

uRock
September 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I had that problem with W2000 and not being able to upgrade to IE7.

Merk42
September 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Here is a site that breaks every version of IE up to IE8. http://www.fsf.org. We will see if IE9 renders the Free Software Foundation's site correctly.If I remember to, I'll try it when I get back to work on Monday.

It won't even work on Windows XP, which is still the most widely used operating system in existence, THEIR OWN BROWSER WON'T EVEN WORK ON THEIR OWN OS!Please show me the indicator applet and Ubuntu One for Hardy

jerenept
September 18th, 2010, 06:11 PM
If I remember to, I'll try it when I get back to work on Monday.

Please show me the indicator applet and Ubuntu One for Hardy

^^this. XP is outdated; it needs to be replaced.

alexan
September 18th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Please show me the indicator applet and Ubuntu One for Hardy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/Operating_system_usage_share.svg/600px-Operating_system_usage_share.svg.png
if Hardy was 50% of this planet global market share (or 50% of Canoinical business)... you'll see the indicators applet and Ubuntu One for it..

this or someone in the 50% global market share of this planet would add it anyway: starting from Hardy sources.

On contrary Microsoft need that no one will keep use XP.

need because they want to make people pay them for a windows license update.

if today there wouldn't be Firefox, Opera and Chrome.. there wasn't absolute chance for XP user to have html5.
Firefox, Opera and Chrome will bring html5 to the 50% global market share (without imposing it through Windows Update)... as well to the other 49,8% of global market share.

Merk42
September 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
if Hardy was 50% of this planet global market share (or 50% of Canoinical business)... you'll see the indicators applet and Ubuntu One for it..
I'm pretty sure Canonical doesn't backport any new features to past releases, feel free to correct me. As such you're making quite the assumption in a hypothetical situation.

EDIT: Just realized you're the user I went back and forth with in a previous thread. So you're pretty much the type I was referring to earlier about never using anything made by Microsoft simply because it's made by Microsoft

Rasa1111
September 18th, 2010, 07:53 PM
On contrary Microsoft need that no one will keep use XP.

need because they want to make people pay them for a windows license update.

no doubt.

want to use your PC? PAY UP! *insert barf emoticon here*

I'm pretty sure Canonical doesn't backport any new features to past releases, feel free to correct me. As such you're making quite the assumption in a hypothetical situation.

Thats why he said "someone would make it"

KiwiNZ
September 18th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Here is a site that breaks every version of IE up to IE8. http://www.fsf.org. We will see if IE9 renders the Free Software Foundation's site correctly.

Then they need to learn to build a Web site correctly ;)

Actually that site has always looked a mess no matter what OS you use and what ever browser you view in.

Dr. C
September 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Then they need to learn to build a Web site correctly ;)

Actually that site has always looked a mess no matter what OS you use and what ever browser you view in.

Actually the FSF site passes W3C validation with flying colours. http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fsf.org%2F. It is IE not the site.

KiwiNZ
September 18th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Actually the FSF site passes W3C validation with flying colours. http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fsf.org%2F. It is IE not the site.

It renders in IE9 the same as Safari and FF and Chrome but it still looks and abomination as if someone went crazy with a box of Crayolas. The attachment is a capture from IE 9

Dragynn
September 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM

Yep.

IE and it's "quirks" mode, what a load of crap, PITA especially if you are trying to code a website, you unfortunately HAVE to keep a copy of the IE8 garbage somewhere on some machine you don't care about, to see what your code THAT LOOKS RIGHT ON EVERY OTHER BROWSER IN THE WORLD, will look like to the unfortunate IE8 user, and then hack various workarounds.

To quote Capt. Kirk :"Khan, i'm LAUGHING at the "superior" intellect".

:popcorn:

Dr. C
September 19th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Yep.

IE and it's "quirks" mode, what a load of crap, PITA especially if you are trying to code a website, you unfortunately HAVE to keep a copy of the IE8 garbage somewhere on some machine you don't care about, to see what your code THAT LOOKS RIGHT ON EVERY OTHER BROWSER IN THE WORLD, will look like to the unfortunate IE8 user, and then hack various workarounds.

To quote Capt. Kirk :"Khan, i'm LAUGHING at the "superior" intellect".

:popcorn:

A VM running Windows 2000 and IE6 will do fine for this purpose. IE7 and IE8 are slightly better than IE6 when it comes to web standards but still very bad. (IE8 scores a pathetic 20/100 on acid3, while IE6 is somewhat more pathetic at 12/100 on acid3). On the other hand IE9 may actually be on par with with Firefox as far as a Web standards, with an acid3 test in the 95% range and it renders the FSF site correctly. So there is still some hope for Microsoft.

corrytonapple
September 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I would be fine if Microsoft comes out with a good browser. Good for them. I like Ubuntu and want to be able to use it without a huge customer data base. It will not make me switch if I am happy with what I have now.

nerdy_kid
September 19th, 2010, 08:29 PM
never

1nv151b13.b0b
December 13th, 2010, 01:16 AM
do you have a brain?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
last time i checked, people (me) don't like viruses...

CharlesA
December 13th, 2010, 03:25 AM
No need to necro a dead thread. Closed.