PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation from External HDD

FahadMKS
September 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I have a 250 GB external HDD. I do not have anything copied inside it currently.

Can I just boot using the External HDD so as to install the new Ubuntu..

sikander3786
September 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM
You surely can install Ubuntu on the external HDD. I recommend that you disconnect the internal HDD's power cable before installation in order to avoid any problems.

Just install on the External HDD as you would have on an internal one. Same partitioning, same setup.

If you prefer not to disconnect the internal HDD, make sure at the last stage of the installer that GRUB is going to be installed to the external HDD by clicking the advanced button and selecting the location of GRUB. If you want to dual boot you'll need to install it on the internal HDD instead. Just choose what you like. Nothing difficult...

lukeiamyourfather
September 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Sure you can, but you probably wouldn't want to for quite a few reasons. Performance and reliability being the biggest two concerns.

sikander3786
September 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Sorry, just realized that I misread your post. You can do it the other way. Mean install "from" the external HDD. Use unetbootin to create a bootable External HDD and boot from it and install Ubuntu.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

FahadMKS
September 18th, 2010, 02:15 AM
This was really helpfull, you guys gave answer to the question that was there in my mind.

Thank you guys.