PDA

View Full Version : seeking career advice (software engineer)

jdunn
September 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hi, all
I'm a former electrical engineer in the states who worked mostly on hardware. I'm now in graduate school for computer science. This semester, I'm finishing up the last of my core classes and will need to select electives for the remainder of my schooling. My goal after graduation is to become a software engineer for application-level development. I'm somewhat proficient in C++ and more-so in Java.

My question are

- What types of development show the most promise (available jobs, job security, salary, innovation, hype, etc) for the next 5-8 years?

- What sort of electives should I take?

So far I've heard good things about data mining, portable web apps (Ipad, Droid, etc), network security and database apps. I also understand that electives which focus on concepts rather than anything language-specific is key, as good problem-solving skills is an important attribute of a successful software engineer. I'd appreciate any helpful feedback/suggestions that might help me choose electives and my career path. Thanks.

(Please stick to the topic when responding)

dwhitney67
September 16th, 2010, 06:02 PM
If you have a squeaky clean background, apply for a job with the US gov't or gov't contractor that requires a security clearance, preferably at the Top Secret level.

If you are able to get this level of clearance, you will not have to worry about your job being shipped to a foreign country, which is typical nowadays, especially with Web-related jobs.

As for the technologies, well, I've seen a lot of job announcements for .NET, Jave/J2EE, C/C++, and even some for Ruby/Rails.

With a h/w background, I would recommend that you consider delving into embedded s/w, rather than focus too much on desktop apps.

P.S. Check into intern positions, with say, NASA, FBI, NSA, HSA, IRS, etc. Look no further than the job boards for the Wash DC-Metro area. 1000's of jobs.

jdunn
September 16th, 2010, 11:47 PM
If you have a squeaky clean background, apply for a job with the US gov't or gov't contractor that requires a security clearance, preferably at the Top Secret level.

If you are able to get this level of clearance, you will not have to worry about your job being shipped to a foreign country, which is typical nowadays, especially with Web-related jobs.

I've heard the lower-level "programmer" positions are most likely to get outsourced or H1B-Visa'd. Besides, I hope to be really good as a software engineer.

With a h/w background, I would recommend that you consider delving into embedded s/w, rather than focus too much on desktop apps.

Embedded software may seem like the logical path for a former electrical engineer but I no longer want to be tied to manufactured products because the U.S. is quickly changing over to a service-oriented economy. I prefer to do application/server-level development.

Thank you for all your suggestions, dwhitney67. You've been helpful.

dwhitney67
September 17th, 2010, 01:49 AM
... the U.S. is quickly changing over to a service-oriented economy. I prefer to do application/server-level development.

Embedded systems, such as in:
http://www.jsf.mil/
http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/videos_general.html

If you want to develop for the likes of Google, Amazon, or E-bay... yawn... then go for it.

phrostbyte
September 17th, 2010, 02:36 AM
If you want job security just learn algorithms, data structures really well.

Don't concentrate on learning all the ins and outs of some specific library or language.

Be a generalist, you'll have plenty of time to specialize when after you get a entry-level job.

Oh and get a friggen BS in Computer Science. :)

jpkotta
September 17th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Embedded software may seem like the logical path for a former electrical engineer but I no longer want to be tied to manufactured products because the U.S. is quickly changing over to a service-oriented economy. I prefer to do application/server-level development.

It's not as bad as you think. Unless you don't like to do things like embedded programming, device drivers, and other things that deal with hardware, you should definitely emphasize that aspect of your education. EEs who can program are always in demand.

jdunn
September 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Oh and get a friggen BS in Computer Science. :)

I have a BS in electrical engineering with a computer engineering concentration + I had to take a few pre-requisite classes (including an OO language) before enrolling in the MS Computer Science program. I didn't need the BSCS as a pre-req at my school...and yes the school is accredited and its pretty good (Its in the top 50).

I'm also going to find an open-source project to work on for the next year so I have something on my resume.

jdunn
September 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
It's not as bad as you think. Unless you don't like to do things like embedded programming, device drivers, and other things that deal with hardware, you should definitely emphasize that aspect of your education. EEs who can program are always in demand.

Well, I spent over 10 years as a EE working with/alongside embedded software developers. They mainly program in C (sometimes assembly) and are constrained by the tight restrictions of the embedded hardware. For a change, I'm more interested in applications/server level development with OO language, scripting, databases, etc. Also, I've seen a lot of manufacturing get shipped over-seas, along with the hardware and embedded software development jobs that goes with it. After 8 years of loyal service, my last F-T, non-contract EE job was outsourced (I was a board-level developer). I had a terrible time trying to find work afterwards. I just don't want to be tied to product manufacturing anymore.

dwhitney67
September 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Finding s/w jobs is not that easy either. But to give you an idea what is available in my area, you can check out the following:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wl/jobs/JobSearchServlet?typeOfSearch=1&keyword=software&location=3060

Note that most, if not all, of these jobs requires a TS/SCI clearance. That alone adds about 20% to one's salary; and the job will never be out-sourced to a foreign country.

jdunn
September 17th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Finding s/w jobs is not that easy either. But to give you an idea what is available in my area, you can check out the following:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wl/jobs/JobSearchServlet?typeOfSearch=1&keyword=software&location=3060

Note that most, if not all, of these jobs requires a TS/SCI clearance. That alone adds about 20% to one's salary; and the job will never be out-sourced to a foreign country.

Yes, gov and gov contract jobs are more secure, I agree. I'll be looking all over the country for a job when I graduate, as I'm not tied down to any location. I have no security clearance but I could probably get one because my background is clean. Problem is, a lot of the jobs such as the one's in your link require someone who already has the TS clearance.

pling
September 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Practical coding skills are often where new grads fall down. Read "Practice Of Programming", "Code Complete", etc. And if you're working with C++ read "Effective C++". If you get time spend a couple of weekends coding with one of the newer higher productivity languages too - if you're Java based then Groovy would probably be best. (Groovy runs on the JVM, interoperates with Java, and the syntax is close although often more concise.) Do this early if you can so that you can do suitable projects using it. Because you can code faster in these languages you learn faster too - 100 hours of Groovy programming followed by 100 hours of Java will probably make you a better programmer than 200 or even 300 hours of Java.

Dragonbite
September 17th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I have a BS in electrical engineering with a computer engineering concentration + I had to take a few pre-requisite classes (including an OO language) before enrolling in the MS Computer Science program. I didn't need the BSCS as a pre-req at my school...and yes the school is accredited and its pretty good (Its in the top 50).

I'm also going to find an open-source project to work on for the next year so I have something on my resume.

I have a friend that worked for a company that made software for designing chips, or electrical boards or something like that (it's been a few years.. ugh... decades, so I don't remember or remember what he programmed in). That's one way to take advantage of your EE and be in the programming field.

phrostbyte
September 17th, 2010, 08:25 PM

That's because the No Such Agency is a short drive from where you live. I don't think the job market in Howard County reflects on the rest of country. :)

mainerror
September 17th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I'd suggest mobile applications. Especially mobile web applications is the new trend and will definitely continue in the future. There is practically no way that mobile applications be it web or native become out of fashion any time soon.

FizzBuzz
September 17th, 2010, 11:01 PM
With your background, embedded programming is a good option. Embedded C and C++ pays well. I'm a software engineer at a firm that does mostly embedded programming and I love it.

lisati
September 17th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Good luck on your journey, and allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised with the direction it takes. These days I'm finding myself doing things that wouldn't have occurred to me thirty years ago when I was looking to becoming an "apprentice geek."

jpkotta
September 18th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Yes, gov and gov contract jobs are more secure, I agree. I'll be looking all over the country for a job when I graduate, as I'm not tied down to any location. I have no security clearance but I could probably get one because my background is clean. Problem is, a lot of the jobs such as the one's in your link require someone who already has the TS clearance.

One of my friends from college got a job at Rockwell Collins, which does a lot of gov't contract work. They got him started on a security clearance right away, and all he had was a BSEE and a couple of internships (pretty good GPA though). (I should say, this was about 5 years ago when they were desperate for engineers, probably not the case now.) So it's not impossible to start on that track, and since you have experience it will probably be easier to get hired at such a place. But you do need a sparkling clean record.

jdunn
September 23rd, 2010, 05:17 AM
*bump*

HarleyMiMi
October 7th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Have you given any thought to a field engineering career (http://jobs.fmglobalcareers.com/)? There are a lot of good opportunities in that field. It might be worth looking into.

jdunn
October 19th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Have you given any thought to a field engineering career (http://jobs.fmglobalcareers.com/)? There are a lot of good opportunities in that field. It might be worth looking into.

If I was younger and excited about a job with travel, I'd immediately consider it. However, if the pay is high enough...it might still be enticing.

Jeff_Houston
October 27th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Do you guys know about Akamai Technologies? They are hiring for software engineering jobs (http://jobs.akamai.com/) right now.