PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI HD4200 display issue Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

SleeKism
September 16th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm quite new to Ubuntu etc, however use to have my machine working fine with 9.10.

I decided to update to 10.04 LTS (x64) with the ATI 10.8 and also tried 10.9 Catalyst drivers, with a bad result.

Lots of lag, and annoying artifacts etc as seen in the picture taken.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/2885/imag0005k.th.jpg (http://img837.imageshack.us/i/imag0005k.jpg/)

Been reading about Xorg and compiz etc, however cannot get this issue resolved!

Any help would be appreciated.

SleeKism

goodolandy
September 19th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Have you tried allowing Ubuntu install the driver for you under System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers ?

It won't give you the latest 10.9 Catalyst, at least it hasn't updated from 10.7 to 10.9 for me, but installation went perfectly when I installed Ubuntu 10.04 back when it first came out.

I have never had any luck using the installer provided on ATI website.

SleeKism
September 19th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Have you tried allowing Ubuntu install the driver for you under System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers ?

It won't give you the latest 10.9 Catalyst, at least it hasn't updated from 10.7 to 10.9 for me, but installation went perfectly when I installed Ubuntu 10.04 back when it first came out.

I have never had any luck using the installer provided on ATI website.

yeah i had tried the restricted drivers from within Ubuntu 'hardware drivers' and still had the same issue :(

funny thing is that i don't have any issue with Ubuntu 9.10 :/

goodolandy
September 19th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Weird, for me it was the complete opposite, I couldn't get ATI drivers to work at all including Ubuntu 9. I took a shot at 10 and everything worked right out of the box.

Curious, did you upgrade from 9 to 10 or did you do a fresh install?

I did a fresh install after the upgrade did not go very well. If all you did was just an upgrade then you may want to consider doing a fresh install.

SleeKism
September 20th, 2010, 01:37 AM
yeah it was a fresh install of 10.04 LTS.

Really annoying issue, maybe i should try installing an older ATI driver e.g. 10.6 - unless the auto downloaded restricted drivers are already an older version.

I might take a video just so ppl can see when it occurs