PDA

View Full Version : Diaspora preview

Shpongle
September 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/15/diaspora-revealed/.

Looks nice

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
September 16th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Alright, someone fill me in. What's the point of a social network that's meant to become fragmented? One of the cool things about Fb is finding a close friend from a decade ago that you've fallen out of touch with.... Even if you're both using Diasporia, but you're on different servers, you'll never cross paths.

Denis Krajnc
September 16th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Creating Diaspora is bad idea. In my opinion.
Facebook is the strongest social network... why would 500+ millions of people go to Diaspora now?

Bachstelze
September 16th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Diaspora comes too late, people are less interested in that kind of social networks. Facebook even starts losing users, I don't think those users will use Diaspora instead.

pablo180
September 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Creating Diaspora is bad idea. In my opinion.
Facebook is the strongest social network... why would 500+ millions of people go to Diaspora now?

The same reason that people left Excite for Google, Friends Reunited for MySpace and MySpace for Facebook, because it is better or offers more.

Dixon Bainbridge
September 16th, 2010, 06:13 PM
The same reason that people left Excite for Google, Friends Reunited for MySpace and MySpace for Facebook, because it is better or offers more.

Myspace and facebook are different social platforms serving very different needs. Facebook is about people, myspace about artists and collectives. Things may have blurred recently, but I don't know a single band or artist that doesn't have a regularly maintained myspace.

earthpigg
September 16th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Myspace and facebook are different social platforms serving very different needs. Facebook is about people, myspace about artists and collectives.

now they are different, once they where direct competitors.

barney385
September 16th, 2010, 06:32 PM
MyFace is just a data mining site.

You've all been duped.

Mmmbopdowedop
September 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM
To be fair, from testing it on some site and reading about it, if I was one to feel disappointed about something, i'd feel heavily disappointed about this.

It's very basic, it seems like not much work has been put forth to it and it doesn't really stand out in any areas. It just kinda, sucks.

It's too plain, simplistic and dull, considering the amount of time they've worked on this and the funding they've had, it's quite terrible.

I personally feel that within a month's work; what they've done could be accomplished by one person.

But that's just my opinion. The idea was silly from the start, there's loads of free community projects out there already that you can implement on your own server, I don't see what's so special about this.
It would of been better as a centralized network as apposed to one you must create yourself, there's likely to be hundreds of these sprawling across the web soon, good investment? I think not.

In my opinion, they gave hype but failed in delivering.

Just my opinion.

cj.surrusco
September 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I don't think anybody outside of the tech (or even just the open source) community will be that interested. The idea of switching 500 million people to a different social network in which you need to set up your own server doesn't sound all that possible.

murderslastcrow
September 16th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I think you guys have misunderstood a few things. You're able to find other people and add them from their seed. So it's not like you can only add people on the same diaspora node as you- that would be pointless.

Also, it's important to note that, even with the capabilities it has now, it's alpha.

And well, if you think it's just trying to be a Facebook rip-off, you've kind of missed the point entirely. It's about decentralizing the data and owning our identities, rather than having it all on a facebook server where they use the info to show you nice little 'relevant' ads.

There are many benefits to the model they're creating, but only if you care about that kind of thing. Just how many people wouldn't use GIMP instead of Photoshop, since Photoshop runs on Linux too. They don't understand what more they're getting out of GIMP because their priorities don't lie there (supposing that GIMP and Photoshop are basically the same program, which they're not- GIMP isn't trying to be anything other than GIMP, and has never been meant as a Photoshop replacement, but it became that anyway).

So yeah, depending on your perspective, this could be a good thing or a pointless thing. However, if it plugs into Facebook, but allows me to start migrating away from Facebook, then we can promote a small shift to using private keys to share our private selves. And I'm sure there will be easier ways than making your own server to get on.

To be honest, it's surprising that it didn't start out this way. It makes a lot more sense for the user.

pookiebear
September 16th, 2010, 08:52 PM
The other thing missed in the previous posts is the business model. Because all the end users are also the servers they have very little overhead compared to facebook that has maintain server farms. Think of it more like a wordpress.com but with no hosting costs. So the user can make it into what you want. It is significantly lowering the operating costs for all players involved. A whole new niche. It may not be a better facebook, but it is a lot cheaper for them to operate. You could apply this model to other types of business too. This is the experiment. You will see more of it soon I bet.

Think of it as web 3.0
on web 3.0 all the authenticated users are also the servers. And there is a facebook clone, ebay clone, amazon clone, a blogger clone, etc. But all the companies that sign up/build into web3.0 have no hosting costs. Only programming costs.

This is just the way I thought of it. IMO. maybe I got too farsighted.

One cool thing I thought of as well was that the "email" functionality in web3.0 in this model would be authenticated for each user precisely. So you would know who was sending spam to you, and if you blocked them it would actually work.

Another cool idea I had on top of this was if your home router a client as well. You could tell your router to give 100k of bandwith and 2gb of storage to diaspora. That way your computer would not be bothered with it. And it would auto throttle if you were playing an online game like counter-strike or halo.

coolbrook
December 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I can't wait for this. I hope it will allow me to share my visual bookshelf and my DC stats. Facebook took those away and now they're forcing another redesign that emphasizes things that I don't want. I'm ready to jump ship.

gnomeuser
December 12th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Being a backer of the project on Kickstarter supposedly I will get an invitation at some point soon, though sadly none has arrived yet.

I am kinda excited about the idea though, it seems to me like Facebook when it was useful.

DeadSuperHero
December 13th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Being a backer of the project on Kickstarter supposedly I will get an invitation at some point soon, though sadly none has arrived yet.

If you want, PM me your email address and I'll pass the message along to one of my Diaspora friends that have an invite. :) Each person gets five, and each invited person likewise can invite five people as well. Currently, a lot of the users are trying to get FOSS developers and enthusiasts on there (in the same way a lot of us are on identi.ca)