PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] streaming pulseaudio - network usage / latency (?) problem

tpp
September 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hi,

I have two networked Ubuntu 10.40 machines and I am trying to stream audio from one machine to the other. I find on the surface everything works - I simply installed padevchooser and set the pulseaudio sink to the other machine.

Now here comes the problem - whenever I do anything else involving network activity the sound crackles and hangs and it becomes hopeless. I've seen people elsewhere online complaining about crackling in relation to CPU usage but I can't find anyone talking about network usage.

In particular I often work on my office computers over VNC. I try to fire up VNC and it starts to load the remote desktop and the sound completely fails. I assume this is some kind of latency issue?

Another good example is trying to watch a video on youtube - the sound plays at first but then as the video is being downloading in the background the stream starts to mess up.

Listening to an mp3 in totem with no other network activity works fine.

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction of other people having this problem that would be much appreciated.

dusauton
August 1st, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hi tpp,
I face the exact same problem while forwarding the sound of my laptop to my desktop station... actually even when I'm not doing anything on my laptop it still cuts the sound regularly, i.e. every 30-40 sec... which is very annoying :(
Have you found any solutions to solve this issue?
Thx