PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partition Size for "/" - please help

dmp2010
September 16th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I get a message that says, "Not enough free disk space".

"The upgrade needs a total of 62.9M free space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 62.9M of disk space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'."

My partition sizes are:

/boot 256mb
/ 3gb
/opt 4gb
/tmp 10gb
/usr/local 10gb
/var 80gb
swap 4gb
/home 80gb

The question i have is how big my "/" partition should be?

Thanks for help.

plucky
September 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM

"The upgrade needs a total of 62.9M free space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 62.9M of disk space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'."

My partition sizes are:

/boot 256mb
/ 3gb
/opt 4gb
/tmp 10gb
/usr/local 10gb
/var 80gb
swap 4gb
/home 80gb

Thanks for help.

Why all the different partitions?

My system has a 10G / partition with the rest in /home and a separate /Storage partition on another disk.

This is my output to the df-h command

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda6 9.9G 3.2G 6.2G 34% /
none 245M 276K 245M 1% /dev
none 249M 3.4M 246M 2% /dev/shm
none 249M 320K 249M 1% /var/run
none 249M 0 249M 0% /var/lock
none 249M 0 249M 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sdb5 54G 32G 20G 62% /Storage
/dev/sda7 43G 18G 24G 44% /home

Good Luck

formaldehyde_spoon
September 16th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Why all the different partitions?

My system has a 10G / partition with the rest in /home and a separate /Storage partition on another disk.

Snap!

psusi
September 16th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Yea, why so many weird partitions? There is no reason to have a /opt directory at all, let alone on its own partition. /tmp is usually mounted as a ramdisk if anything. Unless you are using an exotic filesystem for / that grub does not understand, there is no reason to have a /boot partition. Unless you are running a massive web and/or mail server there is no reason to have /var on its own partition, let alone 80gb, and even then there isn't really any advantage. And /usr/local? Why?

pcal
September 16th, 2010, 03:59 PM

What I think the other guys are suggesting, is that perhaps you should just start from scratch with your partition structure.

I'm no expert (I'm sure others could offer a more optimal solution), but what I have is about 5 gig for the swap partition, about 40% of remaining space into a /home partition, and whatever is left for the / partition.

The install will automatically allocate whatever other directories it needs within the / partition - so you don't need to specify them individually.

Pcal

dmp2010
September 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Thank you all for replying. I was following the partitioning guide offered at the following web site. I thought having separate partitions would make it easier to backup and restore. May be I am better of having only three partitions as plucky suggested.

http://optics.csufresno.edu/~kriehn/fedora/fedora_files/f11/installation/partitions.html

Thanks.

snowpine
September 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Thank you all for replying. I was following the partitioning guide offered at the following web site. I thought having separate partitions would make it easier to backup and restore. May be I am better of having only three partitions as plucky suggested.

http://optics.csufresno.edu/~kriehn/fedora/fedora_files/f11/installation/partitions.html

Thanks.

I see no mention of Ubuntu in that tutorial. :(

A better place to look is the Ubuntu documentation. The System Requirements (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements) suggest a minimum of 5gb for / and 10gb for /home.

psusi
September 17th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Thanks.

Wow that guy's nuts, don't listen to his advice ;)

Two or three partitions is more than enough. Some people like to separate /home, but I generally find no benefit to this so don't bother. About the only good reason I can think of to do so is so you can share your home directory between two different linux installs you are dual booting.

uRock
September 17th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I use / (12GB) and /home, as I end up reinstalling every couple of months. It is nice not to have to restore all of my data from backups every time.

arubislander
September 17th, 2010, 05:13 PM

/boot 256mb

While there is merit in all the offered solutions, none has touched upon the original reason for your query here.

I am guessing that you were upgrading the kernel and there wasn't enough room in your /boot partition to extract the new one. A solution might be to remove any older kernel you're not using.