PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 hardy heron

murpjf88
September 16th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I want to upgrade from Ubuntu 7.10 - the Gutsy Gibbon to 8.04 hardy heron. Will I have any problems after installation using the update manager. Will I lose any programs or files (mp3's movies) on my computer after installation? Are there any serious bugs that will my machine useless afterward?

mörgæs
September 16th, 2010, 08:02 AM
7.10 is unsupported, and I wouldn't use is as a base for anything, not even an upgrade.

If your machine works well with a 10.04 live CD, I would back up my files and go for a clean install.

sikander3786
September 16th, 2010, 09:06 AM
7.10 is unsupported, and I wouldn't use is as a base for anything, not even an upgrade.

If your machine works well with a 10.04 live CD, I would back up my files and go for a clean install.
+1 for fresh install. You'll have to upgrade to 8.04 and then to 10.04 any time sooner, no direct path in between so I suggest that you just install the new LTS release 10.04.1.

Regards.

murpjf88
September 16th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I'm trying out 10.04 on live cd and update manager and firefox keep crashing unexpectedly. Is this normal for the cd trial version or is it a bug?

mörgæs
September 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM
It is not normal. A live CD should run steadily, just slower than a real installation.

Have you tried running a memory test from the CD? Have patience, it might take all night.

Another test is booting a 9.10 live CD. Some screen cards do not like 10.04 but work fine with other releases.

Claus7
September 16th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Hello,

for the future it would be nice to have separate partitions for root and home directories so as to minimise data loss. No matter the way of update there is always a risk of loosing data, so a backup first is a must. Except if you are aware that you might have to put an extra effort to recover your data...

Regards!

MartyBuntu
September 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I'm trying out 10.04 on live cd and update manager and firefox keep crashing unexpectedly. Is this normal for the cd trial version or is it a bug?

I'd try a different 10.04 disk, or just wait for the official release of
10.10, which isn't too far away.

coffeecat
September 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I'm trying out 10.04 on live cd and update manager and firefox keep crashing unexpectedly.

You're using update manager in the live CD session? May I ask why? Did you install a load of updates? If so, that would use a lot of RAM and might explain your problems. Remember that anything installed in a live session, whether updates or apps, are installed to RAM and are lost on power down.

murpjf88
September 16th, 2010, 10:08 PM
You're using update manager in the live CD session? May I ask why? Did you install a load of updates? If so, that would use a lot of RAM and might explain your problems. Remember that anything installed in a live session, whether updates or apps, are installed to RAM and are lost on power down.

No, I wasn't installing updates. I was just browsing. During my browsing, they were closing unexpectedly. For some reason, I couldn't open the terminal either. I just got finished updating 7.10 to 8.04 and now It wants me to upgrade to 10.04. Is it safe to take the plunge? Do I need to establish a recovery point? I saved all my data, movies, mp3's and important files on an external hard drive.

snowpine
September 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
]

No, I wasn't installing updates. I was just browsing. During my browsing, they were closing unexpectedly. For some reason, I couldn't open the terminal either. I just got finished updating 7.10 to 8.04 and now It wants me to upgrade to 10.04. Is it safe to take the plunge? Do I need to establish a recovery point? I saved all my data, movies, mp3's and important files on an external hard drive.

Unfortunately, if a 10.04 Live CD is unstable and buggy on your hardware, it is quite possible that upgrading to 10.04 from 8.04 will be equally unstable and buggy.

I recommend trying to troubleshoot the problem on the Live CD before committing any permanent changes to your installed system.

murpjf88
September 16th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Unfortunately, if a 10.04 Live CD is unstable and buggy on your hardware, it is quite possible that upgrading to 10.04 from 8.04 will be equally unstable and buggy.

I recommend trying to troubleshoot the problem on the Live CD before committing any permanent changes to your installed system.

Will do :).