PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't 'netbook remix' the default UI?

Dustin2128
September 16th, 2010, 03:33 AM
seriously? I think its way faster and more productive than the default ubuntu UI and looks way nicer.

smellyman
September 16th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I like it too and it helps my bad eyes. :)

Unity looks great too.

Dustin2128
September 16th, 2010, 03:39 AM
plus it'd help set ubuntu apart from other distros. Sorry, but the default UI is just rather bland.

Half-Left
September 16th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Well, because it's optimised for small screens. I don't like the idea of my big screen being filled with applications and it's not very flexible either.

pwnst*r
September 16th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Meh.

Plumtreed
September 16th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Too clumsy and awkward....I think it may work for some but I find it garish and infantile in anything but a touchscreen netbook/tablet.

ssam
September 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM
it does not play well on dual screens.

del_diablo
September 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
It does not look good when running it on a proper 1280x1024 screen.

Lucradia
September 16th, 2010, 11:19 AM
It doesn't look all that great on 1440 x 900.

limestone
September 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I hate it!
Original GNOME is the best you can have, also openbox or wmaker is fine.

tjeremiah
September 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Its great but only for a netbook. I currently dislike unity and wish they should of kept the remix interface and increase the menu loading speed a bit instead.

ubunterooster
September 16th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I totally do not like the cluttered and crowded netbook UI. I insist on clean and clear.

I think the UI should try to stay out of the way as much as is possible

roddie
September 16th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I'm running the desktop version of Ubuntu on a laptop, is there any way I can preview this netbook remix ui?

vexorian
September 16th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I love the remix UI, in my netbook. But for my Desktop it would not be as effective as good ole gnome. The remix UI is still pretty limited and bad for customization. Also, maximus maximizes windows that deserve not to be maximized so in a large screen it would be terrible.

pwnst*r
September 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I'm running the desktop version of Ubuntu on a laptop, is there any way I can preview this netbook remix ui?

Flash drive + http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubuntu-netbook-remix-install/

shobon
September 16th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I never liked it. I tried it once when I first got my netbook, and it crippled my productivity.

Unity, on the other hand looks like something I could like.

bowens44
September 16th, 2010, 03:12 PM
seriously? I think its way faster and more productive than the default ubuntu UI and looks way nicer.

I don't care for it. I don't think it looks nicer. As far as functionality, I use it on my netbook because of screen size but I sure don't want it on my desk top.

snowpine
September 16th, 2010, 03:34 PM
The netbook launcher is the default UI... on the Netbook Edition Live CD! :)

You don't throw out your screwdriver just because you bought a hammer...

ubunterooster
September 16th, 2010, 04:16 PM
The netbook launcher is the default UI... on the Netbook Edition Live CD! :)

You don't throw out your screwdriver just because you bought a hammer...
Absolutely correct. Why else are there 2000+ GNU/Linux distros?

roddie
September 16th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Flash drive + http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-ubuntu-netbook-remix-install/
Thanks.

Bachstelze
September 16th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Meh.

This.

EnGorDiaz
September 16th, 2010, 04:49 PM
netbook remix is so bad on normal screens and it looks like a toy like a pda interface its horrible for normal users

ibuclaw
September 16th, 2010, 04:52 PM

That netbook remix UI is gone, sorry. :o

The new netbook remix UI is now Unity.

MooPi
September 16th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I don't use it but the new Unity looks good without being to "In your face". How is Unity on system resources and does it need compositing to function ?

cariboo
September 16th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I don't use it but the new Unity looks good without being to "In your face". How is Unity on system resources and does it need compositing to function ?

Unity is still in heavy development, it's got a good sized memory leak that affects some people more than others, that should be fixed in a couple of days. Unity uses mutter for composting.

Lucradia
September 16th, 2010, 06:41 PM
That netbook remix UI is gone, sorry. :o

The new netbook remix UI is now Unity.

Unity looks much better.

ibuclaw
September 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Unity is still in heavy development, it's got a good sized memory leak that affects some people more than others, that should be fixed in a couple of days. Unity uses mutter for composting.

+1

I'm happy using it now, the menu interface is a little snappier (but *could* still be better), and it no longer crashes when I accidentally hit Super+Alt, or Super+Space key by accident on this tiny keyboard.

I got annoyed when they marked the bug as 'incomplete', so I dug up the developer in me and submitted the debug log and patch myself - which got adapted and pushed. :)

Just a personal taste, but I think the "folding" effect used when there are too many launchers on the sidebar is just disastrous. I would rather all just lay flat, so can just use the mouse scroll to go up and down.

murderslastcrow
September 16th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I like it, especially since it really boost screen real estate, but with such a high resolution as I have, it makes more sense to have a traditional desktop. Also, as a KDE user, I love my widgets, as well as my window management features.

Unity is made for an entirely different kind of user. Then again, Gnome-Shell will probably make this a reality to some extent. You heard a lot at GUADEC about how, with people more used to using multiple separate interfaces (with their smartphones), they'll be more willing to try something exciting and new on the desktop, especially on netbooks.

So long as it takes the fewest clicks/keystrokes and it's easy to get around, I'll invite any new technology. However, it may take a few releases to get there and figure out what works and what doesn't.

Either way, although I love Gnome 2, I'm glad we're going to try something new to refine and further improve what we've already got. In all likelihood, we'll screw up a little on some things, but make huge leaps in others, and then fix up those screw ups so we get an altogether better system.

And, well, although Gnome 2 is awesome, it feels a tiny bit dated at times. This is coming from a KDE user, of course.

But who knows? Maybe Canonical will somehow make a hybrid of Gnome 3 and the traditional Ubuntu desktop and become its own thing. It'll be interesting to watch, especially as they fully support standards and integration with Gnome. I mean, really, an Ubuntu DE wouldn't be a horrible idea. But if it happens, it should be based on Xfce, not Gnome. Speed, baybeh! XD

madjr
September 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM

if you think it should be default then why do you have the normal menu on top (applications, places, system) and duplicating the functionality with the big netbook remix menu?

anyway i think unity is lots better and can be used on big screens too. It actually saves some nice space on laptops and most screens, i wouldnt mind if it become default in the future.

the only thing missing in unity would be auto-hide of side dock.

BrokenKingpin
September 16th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I don't like it at all, even on my netbook. I prefer a desktop environment that I can customize, and the current Gnome interface provides that quite nicely.