PDA

View Full Version : AOL still has a browser?

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I knew they at least once had their own browser, but apparently its still alive and kicking. A little a amusing thing I thought I'd share for others who didn't realize it. Its for Mac & WIndows of course but still...

http://daol.aol.com/software/95/

redfox1160
September 16th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I knew they at least once had their own browser, but apparently its still alive and kicking. A little a amusing thing I thought I'd share for others who didn't realize it. Its for Mac & WIndows of course but still...

http://daol.aol.com/software/95/

WOW! I thought that died a long time ago! I remember seeing my friends use that browser, but I never used it. (I had EARTHLINK and used IE)

v1ad
September 16th, 2010, 02:55 AM
lol used it a long while back.....

Rocket2DMn
September 16th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Doesn't look like it's changed much in the last 10-15 years, huh? I think the integrated browser is essentially IE.

Frogs Hair
September 16th, 2010, 03:09 AM
My school just cleaned up the AOL shortcuts on the computers in the cafe this summer.:o

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Doesn't look like it's changed much in the last 10-15 years, huh? I think the integrated browser is essentially IE.

Wouldn't know I never really used it, or at least I don't remember ever using it...

FuturePilot
September 16th, 2010, 03:26 AM

Last time I tried it, which was years ago, that's how it was.

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Yea apparently it only intergrates IE into it. I just installed it to check it out. It uses whatever version of IE you have installed. In my case IE9 beta. Though interesting enough facebook didn't reconize IE9 while it was used in the intergration. Also to note after install (and claiming your a new user) in my case they attempted to get me to signup for their dial up service, I think though the program misinterperted the firewall block as having no internet connection or something initally and so prompted the window. But after selecting a option and clicking the cancel text at the windows bottom then cancel again on another attempt it left me alone and set my account to free. Such annoying start up. But yea apparently I was mistaken they aren't using they're own browser, my bad, it looked liked it from preview. (No back button or anything on broswer window, its all stuffed on the main though you can max it and its like you just have a browser...)

witeshark17
September 16th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Wow, I remember seeing it on my mom's computer... amazing that it's still around. ):P

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Added a preview to my prior post.

Marked thread as solved for the fun of it.

Dr. C
September 16th, 2010, 04:57 AM
The rise and fall of AOL. It merged with Time Warner in 2000 and the Time Warner shareholders took a real beating. The shorts of the AOL Time Warner merger on the other hand did very well. http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=TWX+Interactive#chart2:symbol=twx;range= my;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;oh lcvalues=0;logscale=on

Sometimes when a company has a horrid product and lousy service one can profit from its demise.

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2010, 05:12 AM
The rise and fall of AOL. It merged with Time Warner in 2000 and the Time Warner shareholders took a real beating. The shorts of the AOL Time Warner merger on the other hand did very well. http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=TWX+Interactive#chart2:symbol=twx;range= my;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;oh lcvalues=0;logscale=on

Sometimes when a company has a horrid product and lousy service one can profit from its demise.

Its still not worthy. Of course thats just my opinion.

Legendary_Bibo
September 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Not a bad concept actually. An IM client IN another window. Amazing.

MasterNetra
September 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Not a bad concept actually. An IM client IN another window. Amazing.

Could be done as a side bar.

Blackra1n
September 16th, 2010, 03:52 PM
AOL is for newbies. :D

ubunterooster
September 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
AOL is for newbies. :D
Ironically, I'd like to see a Linux newbie get AOL working for themselves.

Yes, I know you meant AOL on Windows

chris200x9
September 16th, 2010, 06:13 PM
it's the only thing my mom will use...

MasterNetra
September 17th, 2010, 03:23 AM
it's the only thing my mom will use...

Then your mom is actually using IE. Sense come to find out they don't do their own browser anymore. This all in one package just references IE for its browser part.

CJ Master
September 17th, 2010, 03:46 AM
My friend uses it. Not out of choice, but because where he lives there's no high-speed availible (that isn't at outrageous prices.)

murderslastcrow
September 17th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Whoooooooooaaah. That's so ghetto. Reminds me of the last time I played The Sims on Windows 98. Oh, the times we had together, uploading character stories that were poorly made in MS Paint. *breathes deeply, wishing he'd just taken the Linux plunge in 1999*

blueturtl
September 17th, 2010, 08:56 AM

"AOL! You've got mail, hope you don't have stocks..!" -Robin Williams

Spice Weasel
September 17th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Don't AOL own Netscape?

Frogs Hair
September 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Don't AOL own Netscape?

Yes they do , I thought Netscape was history . Aol radio is now affiliated with Last.fm also.

Spice Weasel
September 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Yes they do , I thought Netscape was history . Aol radio is now affiliated with Last.fm also.

I have a Windows 3.1 machine and still use it. :p

Frogs Hair
September 17th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I had Netscape on my first computer , which was a Gateway but was unable to use it in my area for some reason .

MasterNetra
September 17th, 2010, 05:14 PM

It is.

http://browser.netscape.com/

You can however download the last and prior versions at:
http://browser.netscape.com/releases

The 9.0.x versions have a linux version too apparently.