PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error in GRUB loading

rk45
September 16th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I'm completely new to Ubuntu sorry, so you'll have to bear with me.

I recently acquired a second hand computer. Its specs are:
Q8200 processor
Asus P5Q Pro motherboard
4GB RAM (I think it's made up of 2x1GB + 1x2GB DDR2-800)
ST3320620A Barracuda 7200.10 HDD (320GB)
Asus EN9800 GT video card

The only peripheral that is plugged in is a wireless mouse and keyboard set.

Palimpsest says that the hard drive has one bad sector, which I understand shouldn't be the end of the world. Running MemTest86 suggests that one stick of RAM failed part of test 4.

Now, I'm trying to do a clean install of Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 onto it, but I'm running into trouble. I downloaded the image file for the installation, then burned a boot disk for it using ImgBurn at the slowest speed possible. It all goes fine up until it asks me to remove the boot disk as it restarts - when it restarts, it gives the message:

"GRUB loading.
no module name found
Aborted. Press any key to exit."

I searched the forums for a solution to this, and found a recommendation for GAG Bootloader. I can set up a key for Ubuntu easily enough, but then trying to boot it yields:

"Sector boot not found or invalid"

I can run Ubuntu 9.10 directly off the boot disk without any issues, which made me think that it might be an issue with the hard drive.

I don't know if it's related, but trying to install an old copy of Windows XP with SP3 resulted in the infamous Trap 00000006 error - Exception error, which didn't come right using the Windows Recovery Console. I have run chkdsk on the hard drive which completed properly.

Now, can somebody more knowledgeable than I am suggest where to go from here? Would trying a new version of Ubuntu (or an i386 version instead) likely prove helpful? Is it more likely that one of the hardware components is messing things up? Is there a way to get around this GRUB issue that even I, somebody with very little knowledge of the operating system, can understand?

Any help with this issue would be massively appreciated.

psusi
September 16th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Umm, if memtest says you have bad ram, you need to fix that before you do ANYTHING else.

oldfred
September 16th, 2010, 04:54 AM
After you fix your hardware issues. Run this script as it will show where everything is installed.

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum member meierfra
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste results.txt, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the post's menu and then paste the contents between the generated [ code][ /code] tags.