PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] cannot install on VM (XP)

isonuZ
September 16th, 2010, 12:16 AM
hello, i have a problem installing ubuntu on my virtual machine on XP.
i really wanna try it out, some people told me it's a waste of time... so i wanted to test it on my VM.
i started up a fresh VM.... and got this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4174822/ubuntufail.JPG
im using windows XP sp3... i added 300mb of ram on that VM...
ask me for any more details on my system.
thx

moore.bryan
September 16th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Why not just install Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/) and try it out that way?

isonuZ
September 17th, 2010, 12:35 AM
ok im kinda new to ubuntu.. i downloaded a version from ubuntu.com and it was wubi...
is it a full ubuntu OS?

moore.bryan
September 17th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Yup... Wubi just installs Ubuntu like it was a Windows program, so you don't need to concern yourself with things like partitioning your hard drive or overwriting the master boot record (MBR).

isonuZ
September 18th, 2010, 02:52 AM
oh sweet!
thx dude

SR_ELPIRATA
September 18th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Another thing you could do, to avoid i/o errors is simply to point Virtual PC to use the iso not the actual CD, you will find that the installation will be faster too.

BTW, wanted to mention that, since I have used Virtual PC before (at least on my systems), I have always had trouble with VPC and using a mouse in linux. So, instead of Virtual PC I use Virtualbox, which I find better (personal experience).

ELP

isonuZ
September 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Another thing you could do, to avoid i/o errors is simply to point Virtual PC to use the iso not the actual CD, you will find that the installation will be faster too.

BTW, wanted to mention that, since I have used Virtual PC before (at least on my systems), I have always had trouble with VPC and using a mouse in linux. So, instead of Virtual PC I use Virtualbox, which I find better (personal experience).

ELP
im ganna try that, since moore.bryan's way ddnt quit work
thx (:

isonuZ
September 19th, 2010, 07:15 AM
thank you SR_ELIPIRATA it worked (:

moore.bryan
September 20th, 2010, 11:04 PM
im ganna try that, since moore.bryan's way ddnt quit work
thx (:

Glad to hear you got it up and running... what "didn't work" with the Wubi?

isonuZ
September 21st, 2010, 05:52 AM
thx (:
when i tried to install it, it started downloading something that will take 24hours and it took more than that but ddnt download anything... so i just closed it lol