PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get a bootable Ubuntu Netbook file

Art Deco
September 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
First, some background. I'm a Ubuntu user of over two years; thoroughly pleased with it. I previously had made bootable CDs of two previous Ubuntu releases; one of Eeebuntu and a bootable flash drive for Eeebuntu. So, while I'm not a tekkie, I've been through this before.

I have a new netbook, a Toshiba NB225, and the 18-month-old Eeebuntu lacks drivers for the wireless card and video display. It did load, however - proving that the motherboard will in fact work with Ubuntu.

So...I downloaded an image of the current Ubuntu Netbook, made a bootable flash drive and also burned a CD. Neither of the two work; I recopied the CD with another writer - the second time I used the exact same machine I used to burn the second Ubuntu and the Eeebuntu disks.

Trying to run it, I get "No operating system found."

This isn't the first time I had problems; when I went to upgrade 9 months ago the image I got wasn't bootable either. But at that time I had a wonky Internet connection and I blamed that. This time, I used a strong public-library connection that's been reliable with other critical files.

So...any advice of what to try at this point? Time is critical because if I cannot get Ubuntu into this new netbook or it cannot be made to work, I don't want it. I deplore *******. I have two weeks to return the item if I choose...and I don't need another ******* machine, I much prefer the faster, smaller Ubuntu OS.

Thanks in advance for the help....):P