PDA

View Full Version : What Martial Art Do You Learn And Why

Khakilang
September 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I took up Tae Kwan Do when I was about 10 years old. Just so that I can protect myself among the big boys in school. Not that I had anybody bullying me or looking for fight but I also find it a good form of exercise. So what about you guys?
):P

Sporkman
September 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I did Tae Kwon Do for a couple of years in High School.

I'd recommend some martial arts training for every child - it teaches awareness, confidence, discipline, respect for authority, and the value of focused, repetitive training.

JDShu
September 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
performance shaolin kung fu (impractical but fun) and goju-ryu karate (a school that seems to be rare in North America)

Denis Krajnc
September 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I'm training UFC (Ultimate Fight) for couple years now.

TheSqueak
September 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Urban Krav Maga (http://www.urbankravmaga.com/) for about four years now.

I started because I moved into a fairly rough area and figured that knowing some self defence might be a good thing, and i've continued because I found out that I really enjoy it, and it's the only form of regular exercise i've ever managed to keep doing for this long.

malspa
September 15th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Reminds me of the line from James Brown's song "The Payback."

I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!

(A lot of people mistook it for "but I know ka-razy!" But it was "ka-razor.")

giddyup306
September 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
This.

NightwishFan
September 15th, 2010, 03:02 PM
+1 to Shaq Fu. I cracked up when I first saw a copy of that. I too study Krav Maga. Now recently Kendo.

giddyup306
September 15th, 2010, 03:25 PM
+1 to Shaq Fu. I cracked up when I first saw a copy of that. I too study Krav Maga. Now recently Kendo.

I had that game when it came out. I don't think Shaq even liked it... The Angry Video Game Nerd did a show on it.

But in all seriousness, I did take Tae Kwon Do when I was younger. I took it because my mom said RBWI was too violent... I got the chance in Tae Kwon Do to learn how to break a 1" piece of pine. :popcorn:

Dragonbite
September 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I took Tae Kwon Do in High School and College. The College one was better in that people didn't bother trying to "hold back" as much so it was more "real life" I suppose.

The last martial art I have taken is Fencing (yes, it's "martial" and there is an "art" to it).

Grenage
September 15th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I did Karate when in school, simply because it was some fun exercise. Actual 'fighting' doesn't really interest me; the closest thing I've tried and enjoyed is fencing.

Dragonbite
September 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I did Karate when in school, simply because it was some fun exercise. Actual 'fighting' doesn't really interest me; the closest thing I've tried and enjoyed is fencing.

Huzzah!

Grenage
September 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Huzzah!

Aha, I missed your previous post! It's amazing how hot and sweaty you can get in all the gear, but it is good fun. I was both surprised how fast some people were, and thankful that we didn't have real swords. Lol.

eriktheblu
September 15th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Rifle: professional requirement, recreation
Pistol: self defense, recreation
Shotgun: recreation, zombies

In the conventional sense, Aikido.
I started learning for self defense and fitness. Aiki is as much a way of life as it is a martial art.

I like Aikido as an art because it stresses harmony, and protecting all people (including an attacker). The techniques are graceful, and can be performed by anyone (old, young, firm or disabled).

reyfer
September 15th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Aikido
I love the philosophy behind it, "blending in harmony" even with the attacker, plus it teaches you awareness

endotherm
September 15th, 2010, 06:00 PM
i am a master of Fat-Fu Tactics. I haven't been training actively lately however so it;s much more fat than tactical.

Brunellus
September 15th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Sudo. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1574524)

No, seriously. I had never really been much of a martial artist. I've dabbled in a bit of fencing--nothing serious, mind you, but it's sometimes fun to take a foil out and banter a bit with my brother, who is a real competitor.

When I was a little kid, I always wanted to be a boxer--someone like Roberto Duran or Marvin Hagler or Sugar Ray Leonard. And I like to think I have a pretty decent jab/right cross combination (like a short, fat Wlodomir Klitchko). But no, I'm a pretty peaceable guy.

blur xc
September 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Me? None- but I wish my parents would have enrolled me in something as a kid.

But my kids on the other hand are enrolled in Jun Fan Gung Fu / Jeet Kune Do here http://www.mateoacademy.com/childrens-class/

It's great for them... The fitness alone is worth the money, which is really very little compared to other Martial Arts schools, and that's not to mention the balance and coordination they are developing. I can see it helping them in every part of their lives... A great investment.

BM

KegHead
September 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Shri Aikido.

For general well being.

KegHead

smellyman
September 15th, 2010, 07:53 PM
this thread reminds me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5wmParkppw) and there is a reason why they portray Martial Arts instructors like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ptoM1uj-Cc)

whiskeylover
September 15th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Couch-Potato-Fu.

mr-woof
September 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I've been doing JuJitsu for the last couple of years,I enjoy getting beaten up twice a week :)

chucky chuckaluck
September 15th, 2010, 09:44 PM
scram-fu. if you don't have the sense to run away from trouble, getting your head kicked in probably won't make much of a noticable difference.

JDShu
September 15th, 2010, 09:47 PM
scram-fu. if you don't have the sense to run away from trouble, getting your head kicked in probably won't make much of a noticable difference.

What if I'm a slow runner :(

KiwiNZ
September 15th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Wheel-chair-with-NOS-Fu

Strategist01
September 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Surprised no-one mentioned this, but I do, well used to do Judo. I got up to senior white belt in grade 7, but when I went to high school they didn't offer Judo or any sort of martial art. My mom decided it was too much of a hassle to go a Judo center, as they are far and few between. So I know some moves, btu not a lot...

drhrich
September 15th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Sipalki do, I'm just starting.

When I whas child I did tae kwon do.

XubuRoxMySox
September 15th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Judo, because as a very tiny little person I was intrigued by the idea that a little person can manhandle a much larger opponent by using his own weight (and strength, sometimes) against him. It's not so much striking your opponent (hitting or kicking), but throwing him, and pinning him helpless to the floor. The very idea of throwing a big person around like a rag doll has alot of appeal to a little tiny guy.

-Robin

chucky chuckaluck
September 15th, 2010, 10:37 PM

pleasant-banter-jitsu would be the best option.

JK3mp
September 15th, 2010, 10:40 PM
this thread reminds me of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5wmParkppw) and there is a reason why they portray Martial Arts instructors like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ptoM1uj-Cc)

Been a hell of a week and one hell of a day with a recent break up etc. This made me LOL so hard. Thank you.

And only thing ive ever done was wrestling (never had good enough grades to compete) and backyard MMA(Buddies have ring in garage and like 1/2 HS would show up to watch pple fight it out, got busted, apparently its illegal). Really wanna take MMA classes but i suck at being consistent at working out. Lolz.

Barrucadu
September 16th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I intend to take up Kendo when I go to university.

Dragonbite
September 16th, 2010, 03:35 PM

Hang out with friends slower than you, that way whomever is going to kick your a$$ will stop with them and leave you alone (they usually feast on the first prey they reach)..

Blackra1n
September 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Sudo

JDShu
September 18th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Hang out with friends slower than you, that way whomever is going to kick your a$$ will stop with them and leave you alone (they usually feast on the first prey they reach)..

I guess I could also trip up my "friends" as well :P

Dragynn
September 18th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Gun Kata, it really puts an end to all "what's the best martial art form" discussions for good.;)

NightwishFan
September 18th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I decided to seriously learn Muay Thai and not just bits and pieces of it. It is the style that fits best for me. Also, it should help as my practice partner is a traditional boxer. :)

Koori23
September 18th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Initially, I studied Shuri-Ryu for 10 years from Robert Bowles then, I started studying Krav Maga from a former IDF instructor and have done that ever since.

Dragonbite
September 20th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Just remember, don't bring a knife to a gun fight! Especially when you're 20 yards away!

TTanae
September 23rd, 2010, 12:50 AM
I haven't ever learned one but would really love to learn Tai Chi :)

JDShu
September 23rd, 2010, 02:06 AM
Just remember, don't bring a knife to a gun fight! Especially when you're 20 yards away!

Don't you run faster with a knife?

Khakilang
September 26th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Tai Chi is a slow motion type of movement and has been practice by many among the Chinese community. It may look easy but its hell of tiring after 15min. It improve longevity, concentration, balance and one well being. And it can be use for self defense as well.

bumder
September 26th, 2010, 08:50 AM
i've always wanted to do krav maga/russian systema, so i can be like the dude from metal gear solid!

snake!!!!!!!!!!!

Herman
September 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Taekwon-Do

MooPi
September 26th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Dad taught me to street fight. Now before anyone claims it is dirty fighting, let's ask why people fight to begin with and the purpose. The purpose is not to get your tail kicked and street fighting accomplishes this. So areas normally off limits in gentlemanly fighting are 1st targets. Groin, throat, mid thigh, ears, knee caps are all 1st targets. Hell a good toe stomp has stopped a couple of fellows before the fight even starts. But that was ages ago and haven' had to use fists for 30 years. The mind is the best defense I say.

Seņor Banana
September 27th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I learned Tae Kwon Do while going through middle school, and while I was in a military school, I learned some Judo and Tai Chi Chuan.

anaconda
September 27th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I have practised:

Judo
Jujutsu
Hapkido
Boxing (fitness)
Capoeira

Of those Capoeira is the most fun, and I still practise it.

I would say boxing would be the most effective... atleast it boosted the self-confidence the most.

jujutsu, and hapkido are very similar. Almost the same...

NightwishFan
September 27th, 2010, 03:21 AM
+1 to Capoeira. Very fun.

fortunecookie292
September 27th, 2010, 07:43 AM
A couple years back I started off with Wing Chun Kung Fu but more recently did Shaolin at college. I want to maybe try UFC if there is a Socal location that has classes or training for women...and no I don't mean turbo kick boxing class at 24hr fitness (even though it is fun to watch and I'm sure keeps you in great shape).

Khakilang
September 27th, 2010, 10:21 AM
A couple years back I started off with Wing Chun Kung Fu but more recently did Shaolin at college. I want to maybe try UFC if there is a Socal location that has classes or training for women...and no I don't mean turbo kick boxing class at 24hr fitness (even though it is fun to watch and I'm sure keeps you in great shape).

Bruce Lee was a student of the legendary Wing Chun master call Ip Mun (pronouce as Yip Mun). One of the most effective martial art of self defense. Here take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxr0s1zCyl8&feature=related