PDA

View Full Version : Hardware and stuffs!

Goolie
September 15th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Okay, so I looked at the forums list and I wasn't sure if my topic would fit into any of the set topics per say so I decided to play it safe and post it here.

I've been googling this, and maybe I'm googling it wrong, but I can't find a solid answer to my question. I just need to know if I have a possibly bad motherboard + processor, would it short out my PSU or any components if I tried installing it into another system.

The old system crapped out on me, by the way when she did go, there were sparks, and lots of electrical smoke coming from the PSU. I didn't really want to mess with anything in there after I saw that Fourth of July stuff going on. But now, I have a decent mobo+CPU installed on that old PC that blew, and was wondering if maybe I can salvage some parts. =]

And as always, thanks for any insight! <3

Khakilang
September 15th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Wow! 4th. of July Mobo. Never have I encounter this before. Its very difficult to salvage any parts after that. But maybe the RAM, VGA card, CD/DVD drives, VGA card and hard disk. I don't what else you have in there but those are parts I can think and test it first putting into your main computer.

cascade9
September 15th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Bad motherboard + CPU shouldnt affect your PSU, or any of the other parts.

Of course, if your last PSU blew that hard, there is a good chance that at least some other parts would be blown. In my experience though, putting blown RAM, HDDs, video cards, Optical drives, etc into a 'knwon good' setup shouldnt hurt teh known good setup at all. Worst thing that normally happens is failure to boot (bad RAM), no video (video card blwon), cant find the HDD/optical (HDD/optical drive blown) etc.

BTW, just for anybody else reading this....bad parts EXCEPT for the PSU are normally pretty safe. If you think that the PSU is bad, either get it checked, or replace it. Bad PSUs have the best (worst?) chance of blowing other parts. :(

Goolie
September 15th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Yea, I took out the HDD, FDD, fans, RAM, and all that doo dad out, and haven't had a problem with it yet.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know, I was pretty sure the PSU was the dangerous dead (shorted, evil, whatchamacallit) one, but I was just doubting myself, and where else to find knowledgeable individuals then on here! =P

Thanks guys!

Goolie
September 15th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Wow! 4th. of July Mobo. Never have I encounter this before. Its very difficult to salvage any parts after that. But maybe the RAM, VGA card, CD/DVD drives, VGA card and hard disk. I don't what else you have in there but those are parts I can think and test it first putting into your main computer.

To this day, I'm not sure what happened. There was a loud POP, and a crap ton of electrical smoke and sparks flying out of the PC. And it's and Antec 1200 so it's a little on the big side. The only worthwhile memory?

The PC was on top of the desk (couldn't fit her UNDER). So when it blew everyone could see it. Hence, my little sister and fiance JUMPING a mile into the air and out of the room!