PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with laptop display after using external monitor

UnknownFlames
September 15th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I have hooked up my hp tx1000 to an external monitor once, and now when i turn on my computer, nothing is on the screen. I have to close the lid, wait for it to sleep, then open it again to be able to see the screen. I have no idea what I did, and no idea how to fix it.

e79
September 15th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Have you tried holding the Function Key (fn) and then press on F4 or F5 (depending on your laptop, could differ) ?

Hope this helps.

UnknownFlames
September 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I have tried that. the backlight turns on, and nothing else. I still have to close the lid, wait and open it again.

e79
September 15th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hook up your monitor again and redo the (fn)+F4-F5 while it is plugged. It worked for me once I must say.

TwelveGauge
September 15th, 2010, 10:11 PM
what are your monitor settings?

System -> Prefs -> Monitors

It's possible that your computer's set itself to use the external monitor by default.

UnknownFlames
September 16th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Neither of these worked. The laptop screen is the default, and after connecting and disconnecting the screen, it seems to have reset when I turn it back on.

UnknownFlames
September 19th, 2010, 08:55 PM
It somehow fixed itself, it now works, sometimes. It will only display correctly on login if the laptop is plugged in. I have no idea why it does this.