PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 13, Opensuse 11.3 or PCLinuxOS 2010

nelson2006
September 15th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Hello, I would like to try and install one of these three rpm distros (Fedora, Opensuse, PCLinuxOS). Which on do you think is best :-k? My pc is Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2,80 GHz, 2 GB RAM, G-Force 8400GS Video Card. Thank you...;)

kamaboko
September 15th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Out of those I've played with in the past, I recall PCLinuxOS as the most trouble free.

sdowney717
September 15th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Opensuse
how do you pronounce that one?
Is it open su say
or
open su zay
or
open suzy
open suace
or what?

So how much does a gallon of gas cost where you live?

smellyman
September 15th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Imo

pclos

dualbus
September 15th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Before asking 'Which', you should be asking 'Why', because the answer to the first question depends on the answer of the second.

It is also a matter of personal preference. I can tell you that Fedora 13 is a wonderful choice if you need stability, performance and reliability.

jadedcritic
September 15th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Well, according to the linuxexperiment (website), they hated Suse, and weren't all that crazy about fedora, so probably PClos.

Honestly, I can only speak to personal experience, and I haven't tried fedora or pclos, but I did try SUSE and wasn't at all crazy about it, but as I see it, this is at least one of the chief benefits of having easy access to virtual machines. Try out all 3 in VM's and see which one suits your fancy. Also, do they have live CD's?

nelson2006
September 15th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Before asking 'Which', you should be asking 'Why', because the answer to the first question depends on the answer of the second.

It is also a matter of personal preference. I can tell you that Fedora 13 is a wonderful choice if you need stability, performance and reliability.

Why? Sorry I didn't explain myself very well :(, Since I started using linux I've always been installing Ubuntu or some of their derivatives and would like to try something new for a change. I've made a new partition of my hard drive and would like to install another distro, rpm distro...

bug67
September 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Opensuse
Is it open su say
or
open su zay
or
open suzy
open suace
or what?

I've been saying "soos" as in Dr. Seuss. http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/ne_nau.gif

$3.37/Gal for regular unleaded.

MrNatewood
September 15th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Opensuse
Is it open su say
or
open su zay
or
open suzy
open suace
or what?

open-soo-zeh

Khakilang
September 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I have try OpenSuse 11.3 and manage to install multimedia codec but couldn't do it with Fedora 13. Maybe due to my lack of knowledge. I have not try PCLinuxOS. Maybe you will like it. One good thing about Linux is plenty of choices.

lancest
September 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM
If you enjoy the simplicity and polish of Ubuntu you might have an adverse reaction to OpenSuSE 11.3 on 64 bit.

I encountered an unsolvable USB mounting bug, had a hard time getting my printer installed and could not get Skype installed.

Spent so time and I can't figure out why they would neglect such things.

Yast etc is slow and bulky. Ubuntu is miles ahead- especially for non enterprise use. IMHO fonts on SuSE are inferior even with tweaks.

As a former SuSE user back in 2004 who first discovered Compiz on it I can't figure out how I tolerated it.

The old days must have been a real pain, it's why I had to dual boot with Windows.

Spice Weasel
September 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM
PCLinuxOS is nice and has a familiar APT, but feels a bit unprofessional and cluttered.

Fedora is nice and has yum, but only includes free sofware. There are nonfree repositories you can enable for drivers and codecs.

Dragonbite
September 15th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hello, I would like to try and install one of these three rpm distros (Fedora, Opensuse, PCLinuxOS). Which on do you think is best :-k? My pc is Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2,80 GHz, 2 GB RAM, G-Force 8400GS Video Card. Thank you...;)

Depends on what you are looking for.

I haven't tried it, but from what I've read PCLinuxOS will be the easier to setup and run (kinda like Ubuntu).

OpenSUSE (or, as I pronounce it, open-soo-see) is pretty good. It gives you a lot of choices and handles KDE (it's "default") and Gnome pretty well equally. Yast makes managing things pretty easy.

Fedora is good if you are willing to get a little more involved though it is much improved and made user-friendly over the recent releases. I find it usually very stable, but if you need a lot of proprietary things it may be a bit of a pain. On the other hand they do provide 3D acceleration in the (included) open source drivers for Nvidia and ATI, pluse OpenFWWF allowed me to run my Broadcom wireless card out-of-the-box.

So, what are YOU looking to use it for?

nelson2006
September 15th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Depends on what you are looking for.

I haven't tried it, but from what I've read PCLinuxOS will be the easier to setup and run (kinda like Ubuntu).

OpenSUSE (or, as I pronounce it, open-soo-see) is pretty good. It gives you a lot of choices and handles KDE (it's "default") and Gnome pretty well equally. Yast makes managing things pretty easy.

Fedora is good if you are willing to get a little more involved though it is much improved and made user-friendly over the recent releases. I find it usually very stable, but if you need a lot of proprietary things it may be a bit of a pain. On the other hand they do provide 3D acceleration in the (included) open source drivers for Nvidia and ATI, pluse OpenFWWF allowed me to run my Broadcom wireless card out-of-the-box.

So, what are YOU looking to use it for?

Actually I'm looking for a rpm distro to be easy in installing the drivers and codecs. It doesn't matter if I have to find a lot of proprietary stuff as long as I can find it and install it.

And from these three distros which one of them have a better software manager?

snowpine
September 15th, 2010, 03:28 PM
If you are looking to expand your horizons beyond Ubunutu, Distrowatch has a nice comparison of their top 10 distros:

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

I am typing this from Fedora 13, which I love. I think you will find, however, that most distros are basically the same. I spend most of my day using applications, not operating systems, and I find Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. are the same no matter which distro I try. :)

Dragonbite
September 15th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Actually I'm looking for a rpm distro to be easy in installing the drivers and codecs. It doesn't matter if I have to find a lot of proprietary stuff as long as I can find it and install it.

And from these three distros which one of them have a better software manager?

Hmm..

Not sure about PCLinuxOS, but I hear they use Synaptic so that would be familiar.

OpenSUSE is the more different of the three, using Yast or if you prefer CLI, zypper. On the other hand for applications not in the repositories (and there are a number of 3rd party repositories available) there is the openSUSE Build Service (OBS) which I guess is similar to Ubuntu's PPAs, and one-click install which will set up the repository, download and install the application of choice, and gives you the option to add the repository to the list, or not.

Fedora uses Yum, which for CLI package managers seems pretty good. A little more informative than apt-get. For a GUI package manager they have PackageKit, which is getting better but I have not liked it since I first saw it in Kubuntu years ago. There is also Yumex, which some people like (#yum install yumex)

TBABill
September 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM
PCLinuxOS is incredibly easy to use. I would say it is on par with Mint for ease of use and all codecs and drivers available. It even has the proprietary Broadcom included in the install so you do not need to obtain it post-install. It never broke for me unless I borked it myself and updating/installing software is as simple as opening Synaptic and following a couple easy steps. You won't notice a difference between the deb/rpm issue with it. It's fast, too...one of the fastest I distros I have tried.

For me openSUSE and Fedora weren't as easy to adjust to from Ubuntu. Fedora required a great deal of work to use anything proprietary, which my machines required (Broadcom and nVidia) for best performance. openSUSE was easier than Fedora and I stuck with it for a while, but Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS were just easier and felt more natural for me as an end user. That's all opinion though and your own trials will gauge what is best for you.

Best of luck with whatever you choose. I always find myself right back using Ubuntu after a while :)

snowpine
September 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM
"Nonfree" stuff can be easily installed in Fedora by using RPMFusion (http://rpmfusion.org) or Easylife (http://easylifeproject.org/).

dualbus
September 16th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Well, according to the linuxexperiment (website), they hated Suse, and weren't all that crazy about fedora, so probably PClos.

Honestly, I can only speak to personal experience, and I haven't tried fedora or pclos, but I did try SUSE and wasn't at all crazy about it, but as I see it, this is at least one of the chief benefits of having easy access to virtual machines. Try out all 3 in VM's and see which one suits your fancy. Also, do they have live CD's?

I agree. Given your needs, I recommend that you download and try them on a virtual machine (VirtualBox for example) and then, you can decide which one you like the most.

ubunterooster
September 16th, 2010, 02:15 PM
SUSE pronounced
soo-zehis a refreshingly very different interface and way of working.

Fedora is more professional and reliable.

PCLOS is very simple though, like mandriva/mandrake

jadedcritic
September 17th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I agree. Given your needs, I recommend that you download and try them on a virtual machine (VirtualBox for example) and then, you can decide which one you like the most.

The only downside is VirtualBox doesn't promise every distro. I just spent WAY too much time poking a Fedora VM only to learn that VirtualBox doesn't guarantee F13 will work.
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes

DOH!

Oh well, win some, lose many.

I suppose it would be asking a great deal for them to guarantee compatibility with 100+ distros!

(edit) Makes a good acid test though. I'm inclined to think that if I can't make a distro work well in a VM (with a reasonable amount of effort), then it's older, less virtualized cousin is best avoided.

inobe
September 17th, 2010, 02:38 AM
asking which one and allowing opinions other then your own is a waste of time.

try each one and i promise you will find what you like, after which' come back here and laugh at what you started :p

beastrace91
September 17th, 2010, 01:51 PM

I've used all three (plus a pile of others) After Ubuntu OpenSUSE is bound to give you the least headaches. Fedora is down right a pain in the *** IMO and PCLinuxOS I've had break on me one too many times with system updates.

~Jeff

Roasted
September 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
If Fedora can run on your system, it's a good one to play around with. While it's pretty stable, it can be a bear playing nice with certain hardware. Ubuntu always took the cake for hardware support when I compared it to Fedora, so that's why I stuck with Ubuntu since it... worked.

My vote though would go to PCLos. Pretty awesome distro if you ask me.