PDA

View Full Version : How can I replace text in a file from the command line?

rogeriovinhal
April 9th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Hi, I want to know how can I change some text inside a file just from command line, precisely, from a script.

I want my script to change a Makefile to all entries inside it of "-O2" to "-O4".
How can I do that?

wylfing
April 9th, 2006, 03:38 PM
The sed tool is what you need. (You don't need to install it -- it's already there.) The syntax is something like:
sed -e s/oldtext/newtext/ inputfile
My sed skillz are a little rusty, sorry. You might be better off reading the man pages.

Edit: OK, my memory is refreshed. I think this would work for you:

sed -e s/-O2/-O4/ Makefile > Makefile.new

rogeriovinhal
April 9th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Blame Microsoft for that :p . Check this thread (http://amsn.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=742) on the aMSN forums for details on what happened.

You need to update to the last cvs snapshot. You can also modify the protocol.tcl file; find a line containing MSNP13 MSNP12 CVR0, delete MSNP13, save and recompile.

Thanks! That worked! :-D

I guess I have to find a good guide to look for these commands when I need them.

golgotha64
April 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Just for future reference there's a tool called rpl which is capable of doing string replacement in a similar manner to the sed solution given above, but it can work on multiple files.

It has saved my a lot of time an effort in the past :-)

asimon
April 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Just for future reference there's a tool called rpl which is capable of doing string replacement in a similar manner to the sed solution given above, but it can work on multiple files.
sed can work on multiple input files too. ;-)