PDA

View Full Version : Linux From Scratch Senior Project?

tdrusk
September 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Hey guys!
I am a senior in college and need to work on a senior project for my major. I am a computer science major.

Basically, I was thinking about installing Linux From Scratch and documenting what I did and why I did it. I feel this will teach me the ins and outs of Linux starting from the ground up. The thing is, I don't really know what to title my project or how to specify the topic of my project. I have to write around 20-30 pages about what I did and the benefits, etc.

If you were doing a project on setting up a system like Linux From Scratch, what would you research most?

Bachstelze
September 14th, 2010, 10:40 PM
To be honest, what I would research is another subject. For one thing, youre not going to find a lot of "benefits", and for another, if I were a CS teacher, I'd expect something more advanced from a senior than a LFS install report.

Simian Man
September 14th, 2010, 10:45 PM
To be honest, what I would research is another subject. For one thing, youre not going to find a lot of "benefits", and for another, if I were a CS teacher, I'd expect something more advanced from a senior than a LFS install report.

I fully agree, you won't be doing any actual computer science at all for that. Has a professor approved this topic?

Personally I would write a compiler if you haven't already. Now that will teach you something worth knowing!

tdrusk
September 14th, 2010, 10:50 PM
I fully agree, you won't be doing any actual computer science at all for that. Has a professor approved this topic?

Personally I would write a compiler if you haven't already. Now that will teach you something worth knowing!
He hasn't. I've just been brainstorming.

That is a great idea. I will look into it.

JECHO
September 15th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Another option would be to install linux and then get apache running. create a small intranet site and install 2 virtual machines with linux and have them be able to access the site(s).

That will teach you a bit about everything from a base linux install to DNS, TCP/IP, web design, etc...

tdrusk
September 16th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Another option would be to install linux and then get apache running. create a small intranet site and install 2 virtual machines with linux and have them be able to access the site(s).

That will teach you a bit about everything from a base linux install to DNS, TCP/IP, web design, etc...
I was thinking that too. Maybe creating the most minimal setup from lfs and doing different server things with it.

smellyman
September 16th, 2010, 02:44 AM
build a new OS..:)

Now that would be impressive.

Rocket2DMn
September 16th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I'm going to have to agree that this does not sound like a good senior project for a CS major. Putting together an OS is more of a system administration task, which is fine if you want to work in IT or be a systems engineer. A CS major would typically do a development project in which you design and implement a software product using knowledge you have learned over the last few years, and add in something new that you need to learn on your own. This is your chance to display what you have learned, as well as show off some creative thinking.

Dustin2128
September 16th, 2010, 04:00 AM
single handedly finish the development of HURD.

armageddon08
September 16th, 2010, 04:27 AM

Now that would be impressive.

Shpongle
September 16th, 2010, 04:54 AM
now that would be impressive.=d>

Barrucadu
September 16th, 2010, 08:34 AM

I believe there's a half finished implementation of ext3 for the Hurd floating around somewhere…

NovaAesa
September 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM
You could in fact design and implement your own (minimal) OS. According to some of my professors, it's not a task that is as difficult as one may first think (although still tricky!).