PDA

View Full Version : Corn syrup producers want to improve image by changing name

Sporkman
September 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Corn syrup producers want sweeter name: corn sugar

By EMILY FREDRIX, AP Marketing Writer Emily Fredrix, Ap Marketing Writer – 1 hr 55 mins ago

NEW YORK – The makers of high fructose corn syrup want to sweeten up its image with a new name: corn sugar.

The bid to rename the sweetener by the Corn Refiners Association comes as Americans' concerns about health and obesity have sent consumption of high fructose corn syrup, used in soft drinks but also in bread, cereal and other foods, to a 20-year low.

The group plans to apply Tuesday to the Food and Drug Administration to get "corn sugar" approved as an alternative name for food labels...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100914/ap_on_bi_ge/us_corn_syrup_image

CharlesA
September 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Meh, sugar and sugar.

DoktorSeven
September 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Meanwhile, I'm seeing more soda going back to using sugar, and buying only those that do. The taste is much crisper and cleaner to me than their "corn sugar" or whatever they want to call it today.

I hope that enough people do the same so we can shift back to sugar as a sweetener for most things. I cannot stand any sort of "diet" substitute sugar (it actually makes me ill) and would much rather use real sugar for taste over HFCS/"corn sugar"/whatever.

sdowney717
September 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
total obfuscation and I hope the FDA wont let them get away with that.
http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/08/20/4274/the-dangers-of-high-fructose-corn-syrup/
HFCS requires a different metabolic pathway than plain old sugar. So it is not sugar as those new tv spots are advertising.

Diabetes and overweight are health care plagues and drive up costs for all of us. It seems that this is getting worse over the last 20 years and likely due to HFCS being put in everything. Looking around, I even saw this in loaf of bread.

Stevia and Ideal are good sweetening alternatives

snowpine
September 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Eat an apple.

sdowney717
September 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Problems Caused by Too Much HFCS

* It can lead to higher caloric intake
* It can lead to an increase in bodyweight
* It fools your body into thinking it’s hungry
* It increases the amount of processed foods you eat, thereby decreasing your intake of nutrient-dense foods
* It may increase insulin resistance and triglycerides

something little known by people is eating HFCS tends to make you hungry and eat even more making you even fatter.
I think seeing the negative health effects should force government (being a major health care payer) to ban HFCS for everyones sake.

oldfred
September 14th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I am in the sugar is sugar and fat is fat and too much is bad, moderation with exercise is ok.

From article linked above:

Since HFCS is a blend of glucose and fructose..

Fructose is also a monosaccharide and is often referred to as “fruit sugar,” because it is the primary carbohydrate in most fruits. It’s also the primary sugar in honey and half the carbohydrate in sucrose (table sugar).

endotherm
September 14th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Meanwhile, I'm seeing more soda going back to using sugar, and buying only those that do. The taste is much crisper and cleaner to me than their "corn sugar" or whatever they want to call it today.

I hope that enough people do the same so we can shift back to sugar as a sweetener for most things. I cannot stand any sort of "diet" substitute sugar (it actually makes me ill) and would much rather use real sugar for taste over HFCS/"corn sugar"/whatever.
no doubt. Coke (a cola) from south of the border is much better.

ticopelp
September 14th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Eat an apple.

Is this sage bit of advice to the FDA or the corn syrup consortium?

Sporkman
September 14th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Looking around, I even saw this in loaf of bread.

Most store-stocked breads have it.

snowpine
September 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Is this sage bit of advice to the FDA or the corn syrup consortium?

I doubt either of them read UbuntuForums for advice. :)

forrestcupp
September 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Same great taste in an exciting new package!

I doubt either of them read UbuntuForums for advice. :)

:lol:

kamaboko
September 14th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Corn syrup is used for damn near everything. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD and Intel use if for their processors.

Ric_NYC
September 14th, 2010, 10:00 PM
They have money... So they can manipulate things, change names, buy supporters, praise from scientists.
Their money can create an alternative reality where corn syrup is good.
Bloggers will tell us how wonderful corn syrup is.

snowpine
September 14th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Corn is a vegetable.

Ric_NYC
September 14th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Corn is a vegetable.

Cicuta is a plant... and a poison.

endotherm
September 15th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Corn is a vegetable.
theres no such thing as a vegetable. there are only roots, shoots, and fruits. if it has seeds it's a fruit, if it grows underground it's a root, and if it is made of leaves/stalk it's a shoot. vegetable is just a term they came up with for the commodities market back in the '20s to deal with the difference in market prices between sweet fruits and everything else. a bushel of oranges will always cost more than a bushel of cabbage.

forrestcupp
September 15th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Corn is a vegetable.

I love those commercials. Corn syrup comes from a vegetable, so it has to be good for you. ;)

LowSky
September 15th, 2010, 02:30 PM
A good presentation on what sugar really does to the body (corn, beet or cane)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBIQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdBn niua6-oM&ei=Y8qQTMDOFcT7lwfWgpDkAQ&usg=AFQjCNFieQw4KuSluhBtTORnsJNBNzqIeg&sig2=RvquAcKpgCCUkXwDsH3l0w

sdowney717
September 15th, 2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Nutrition/Food/corn_sugar_1509100616.html

Only reason they want to change the name is due to truth is out and the sales are down.
But will people be fooled?

Use of high fructose corn syrup has been linked to an increased risk of overweight and obesity, among other things.

Princeton University researchers reported on March 18, 2010 in the online version of the journal Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior that consumption of high fructose corn syrup caused more weight gain in lab animals than table sugar when both sweeteners were consumed in equal quantity.

Bart Hoebel and colleagues also reported that long term use of high fructose corn syrup caused abnormal increases in body fat, particularly in the abdomen and an increase in circulating blood fats called triglycerides, both of which are signs of metabolic syndrome.

There is a growing body of evidence that fructose, which can also be found in table sugar or sucrose, honey and other foods, can be harmful when consumed in large quantities, over a lengthy duration. Stephan B.C. and colleagues at the University of Cambridge reported in the August 2010 issue of The Journals of Gerontology: Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences that increased fructose intake may boost risk of cardiovascular disease and dementia.

Ric_NYC
September 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Follow the trend: :popcorn:

A number of companies also have stopped using corn syrup in some or all products, including Omaha-based ConAgra Foods' Hunt's ketchup, Snapple, Gatorade and Starbucks' baked goods.

Read more: Corn syrup consumption drying up - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/natural-organic-news/ci_15228141#ixzz0zbdhbvQu
DailyCamera.com

forrestcupp
September 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM
http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Nutrition/Food/corn_sugar_1509100616.html

Only reason they want to change the name is due to truth is out and the sales are down.
But will people be fooled?

I know, but it's so darn good. When they came out with the throwback sugar sodas last year, I didn't like them nearly as much as the corn syrup versions. I hope I don't end up too obese and demented. :)

whiskeylover
September 15th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Corn is a vegetable.

Tobacco is a plant.

Swagman
September 15th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I no longer have (any form of) sugar in tea or coffee and I don't eat Brekkie so no sugar used there either. I do drink Coke but not very often.

Now if we can just get rid of trans fats I might actually start to lose this humongous gut !!

sdowney717
September 15th, 2010, 11:23 PM
stevia taste good and is not sugar
Family also likes Ideal
http://www.stevia.com/

wilee-nilee
September 15th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I just want my coffee and sugar together in a IV drip. ;)

Dustin2128
September 16th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if AMD and Intel use if for their processors.
That would explain a lot...