PDA

View Full Version : My PSU blew up....need advice

renzokuken
April 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM
ok, so last night my PSU blew up. I think the fan got stuck and so it overheated and melted itself out.

Obviously i need to buy a new one, but i've been looking around and not sure which power rating i need. I have 3 harddrives, graphics card, Asus A8V mobo, one DVD-RW drive, AMD 64 3500+ processor, etc.

I'm thinking im gonna need a mid range power (Watts) PSU, preferably this time one with a decent fan too >_<

Any advice?

Kapre
April 9th, 2006, 12:28 PM
ok, so last night my PSU blew up. I think the fan got stuck and so it overheated and melted itself out.

Obviously i need to buy a new one, but i've been looking around and not sure which power rating i need. I have 3 harddrives, graphics card, Asus A8V mobo, one DVD-RW drive, AMD 64 3500+ processor, etc.

I'm thinking im gonna need a mid range power (Watts) PSU, preferably this time one with a decent fan too >_<

Any advice?

If you got the dough, try the OCZ 520WATT POWERSTREAM Supports ATX/BTX/PCI-E/SATA. A bit high in price but you got lots of power.

K

Stew2
April 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Hello,
I have had good luck with Antec power supplies. They are much more reliable than the cheapo generic psu's. You have a pretty beefy rig there so I would recommend a 350 watt or higher psu. Depending on your budget, I would get the best I could afford without going overboard. Something in the 450 watt range would be ideal I think. Hope this helps :) .
Regards,
Stew

bjweeks
April 9th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Hello,
I have had good luck with Antec power supplies. They are much more reliable than the cheapo generic psu's. You have a pretty beefy rig there so I would recommend a 350 watt or higher psu. Depending on your budget, I would get the best I could afford without going overboard. Something in the 450 watt range would be ideal I think. Hope this helps :) .
Regards,
Stew

I second this, I have 4 antec psus all run great.

renzokuken
April 9th, 2006, 12:44 PM
thanks, i'll have a look and see what i can find

EDIT :

this one seems to be in my price range http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43567 and it has plenty of good reviews.......will this have what i need?

such a pain in the **** though, i was gonna buy myself a new pair of hefty floorstanding speakers but this has taken a large chuck of my budget away.....grrrrr

bjweeks
April 9th, 2006, 01:04 PM
It's not bad it you want it to glow. I would get the antec truepower 2.0 550 myself.

Virogenesis
April 9th, 2006, 01:09 PM
I have a hiper type-r psu and i love it to piecies its modular and extremely quiet I think its only something like 18db .

They do a hiper 480 watts type-r (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=98566) and a 580 watt I have the 580 0 watts but the 480 should be enough easily.

NeghVar
April 9th, 2006, 03:05 PM
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Fill out that info and it will tell you the min size you need.