PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will the update work? nVidia Graphics problem Ubuntu 10.04

xolvlanko
September 14th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Hi, I'm having a problem with upgrading my computer to Ubuntu 10.04 and recently 10.10 thinking that they might had fixed the problem. Anyway I'm using my computer with Ubuntu 9.10 and works quite well, however when I tried to upgrade to 10.04 my computer would simply go black screen. At first I didn't know what was the real problem. Then after getting the OS to but in "demo mode" it actually booted but only the sound was the only thing that I could verify that was working. My question is the other day I was wondering if I already have installed the nVidia drivers in 9.10 and make the upgrade to 10.04 from the 'Update Manager' will the computer keep the drivers or the process of upgrading will change those drivers/files? I want to make sure since I don't want to start all over again.

PD. The graphic card is a nVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE (integrated)

Rasa1111
September 14th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Hey there,
I had the same issues 10.04 at first,
but after a month or two they went away.

But ive been testing 10.10 for the past week or so and it doesnt have any of the graphics issues that 10.04 did.
no added drivers or anything.

Why not just burn a cd and try it out?

xolvlanko
September 14th, 2010, 07:19 AM
hello, well that's the problem is still happens with the newest Ubuntu(10.10). I also tested the openSUSE 11.4? Linux and same thing happens but its quite worse since I have more support here than that Linux distro. but the problem still remains. Every time I install Ubuntu 10.04 and more recently tried with 10.10 the problem remains and I cannot see a thing. The audio is there and I even dare say that other areas like network and such may be working but the video part clearly isn't.

herdivet
September 23rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
I can confirm Fedora 13 does the same thing - :(

Rather than give up, I really wanted to get off 8.10, I took the easy way out and put a cheap PCI graphics card in, disabled the onboard graphics card, and I've gone from a powerful Nvidia GeForce 6150LE, to a wimpy ATI/XL 8M ATI Radeon.

Fortunately I don't use this machine for much more than email and spreadsheets, so it won't be much of an issue, but I sure hate wasting the money on an additional card I shouldn't need.

I looked on Lauchpad, I don't see this particular issue with the 6150. I'm having a problem with my account and can't login now. I'll try to open one on this once I can logon.

OK - got on lauchpad and found this the problem described, with this link given as having the solution:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix-ubuntu-10-04-lts-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup.html

off to try that now.

Okay, the first solution proposed worked for me. I am up on the NVidia card now. will install the new driver and should be good to go.

Thanks to ubuntugeek and ubuntuforum user for the solution.

Hope it helps you xolvlanko.

xolvlanko
September 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM
@ herdivet

Hmmmm...... IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

Thank you a lot, your suggestion fixed the problem quite well. That's why I love this community!!! :)