PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using only a portion of a monitor to display desktop...

ericroberts
September 14th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Hi folks...I have an odd situation ... I have a Visio TV that I dropped and cracked the LCD display in one corner ... for watching TV it's basically useless now. On a whim I plugged it into one of my computers and about 75% of the screen is still usable .. only the bottom right hand corner of the screen is messed up. What I'd like to do if possible is to define an area of the screen ... say for instance the top left hand corner across and down to where the screen starts getting bad ... like a left click and drag out the good area....and then make only that area "the monitor" for the OS to use.

I'd then probably build a case or something to house it in and only show the "live" area to clean things up.

Any ideas as to whether I can do this? I'd like to use Ubuntu ... .but if you know I can't do it in Linux but can in Windows I'd consider that option as well. I just hate to junk the TV if I can use it some how as a monitor ... plus I'd save a little face with my wife if I could repurpose it!!

Thanks for any ideas.

ER

dino99
September 14th, 2010, 11:03 AM
seem to have a race between graphic specs and tv specs, you need either to remove xorg.conf and let ubuntu to deal with configuration, or set hardware specs in it ( better to let the kernel do the job IMO)