PDA

View Full Version : Writing a resume tailored towards helpdesk positions

mengfei
September 14th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Hi guys!

I know this is an odd question but I really need help.

Long story short, I'm a college student who desperately needs to get an internship and/or co-op.

Although I'm a science major, I'm looking to land a position at anything IT, most probably a helpdesk position because I have worked for four some years at my school's helpdesk as student manager.

Since I'm not in the IT college, do any of you in the industry have tips on how to make my resume shine for such positions as well as how to confront recruiters?

Again, I apologize if this is inappropriate for this forum but I really need the help. I'm a failing premed student! :p

Jesus_Valdez
September 14th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Try asking this at the Community Cafe sub-forum.

wojox
September 14th, 2010, 03:07 AM
If you worked for four some years at your school's help desk as student manager, you shouldn't have a problem finding a job at Help Desk Support. Most of the positions these days require patience and to be kind. Learn the software / hardware well and use the program they give you to answer a majority of the questions asked.

mengfei
September 14th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Unfortunately I'm not a computer-related major, and the last two years I tried to find something... no luck.

I'm doing everything I can to be better prepared this time though.

I'm looking to get an idea of what IT employers look for on resumes and during recruiting/interviews.

slooksterpsv
September 14th, 2010, 03:43 AM
They want experience, they want knowledge. I could give you an example from my resume if you'd like. PM me and I can send it to you so you can see how all these companies are trying to contact me for Helpdesk positions.

Rocket2DMn
September 14th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Moved to the Community Cafe.

cprofitt
September 14th, 2010, 04:00 AM
http://www.bestsampleresume.com/help-desk-resumes.html

http://www.bestsampleresume.com/sample-help-desk-resume/sample-help-desk-resume-2.html

http://www.sampleresumetemplates.com/help_desk_resume_sample.html

-----
You are going to have to get your IT experience from other places that classes, but you have to get some in there.

Xianath
September 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I've interviewed a few hundred people in my tenure in Support, most of them for Tier-1 jobs. It wasn't your typical phone agent job where they just pick up the phone, it was more along the lines of what you might consider Tier-2 support in other companies. Naturally the expectations were higher on the technical skills. However, even with these requirements, here's a list of some the more interesting hires who I consider very successful:

* A guy with two Master's: Conservatory and Seminary. Confident and soothing bass-baritone voice, and excellent bedside attitude and a feeling of confidence. Perfect for calming down a distressed customer.

* A girl, 22, with a Psichology major. Excellent English, good sense of humor, and did I mention she got a Master's at 21, while working? Great for diffusing situations with conflict seeking customers.

* A girl who, when asked the introductory "tell us something about yourself", didn't shut up for about 15 minutes. Great for outtalking a particularly annoying sob so she can actually help him.

Admittedly, all of the above examples had *some* IT experience or they wouldn't make it past HR's initial screening. It's their other qualities that made the difference for us as, ultimately, everything else you need can be learned on the job.

I would expect to see energy, enthusiasm, willingness to learn, patience, and the right attitude. Find things that you've done in school that demonstrate these traits, such as your four years at the helpdesk. A good cover letter will help tremendously since this is where you point these traits out. You're just graduating, no one expects wonders. Just be honest (but creative) about who you are.

HTH,
Peter

evonbarrys
January 13th, 2012, 06:32 AM
In that case you need to keep track of the post which will be useful to you, so keep it up and provide more information here.