PDA

View Full Version : World going more Open Source?

razorboy5
September 14th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Hey
I read an article few years ago (can't find the link anymore) which stated more and more companies will switch to open source programs such as Linux to cut back on costs.

I'm seeing this right infront of my eyes as my Comp Sci lab uses Fedora that replaced XP and in my Economatrix class is using GRETL.

Is this a good indication that by when I graduate the companies I may work for will be using Linux or another open source operating system or is my school just that much cooler than everyone?

Austin25
September 14th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I hope so.

Dustin2128
September 14th, 2010, 01:35 AM
more likely your school being much cooler than everyone. We're forced to exclusively use microsoft products on our school computers, and nobody else knows the difference....

icechen1
September 14th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Certainly would be appreciated, my school is still 90% Windows and Office only. :(

Austin25
September 14th, 2010, 02:05 AM
My school only uses Windows and Macs. The systems administrator was confused when I went to register my laptop with them, and it had Ubuntu. It was funny in a sad pathetic way.

Lucradia
September 14th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I haven't been to a school in a while; but I'm absolutely certain that all public schools and public colleges in my area use Windows machines more than any other.

Denis Krajnc
September 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM
In our country 95% computers in schools are running on Windows.
I don't really know why should we use open source in schools if you're going to work on Windows?
I really don't expect that Linux or any other open source operating system will take over the world... Atleast not in my life time.

Lucradia
September 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
In our country 95% computers in schools are running on Windows.
I don't really know why should we use open source in schools if you're going to work on Windows?
I really don't expect that Linux or any other open source operating system will take over the world... Atleast not in my life time.

Google already made their staff switch to non-windows. (Apple/Mac OS is acceptable apparently)

pwnst*r
September 14th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Google already made their staff switch to non-windows. (Apple/Mac OS is acceptable apparently)

Google is not your typical company either.

Johnsie
September 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
It's really down to each admin and their bosses. At our company of around 30 people I try to push open source as much as I can but I would never force anyone to go open source if they are more comforatable with a closed source product that we have access to. The option is there for them, but 9 times out of 10 they go for closed source out of habit. If you try to force them to do something they are not confident in then they get all funny and think you are being a cheapskate with them. Things like firefox you can get away with. Things like Office and Windows are much harder to get people to happily use. Most power users opt for Windows but I have had some luck getting novices to use Linux in work.

Denis Krajnc
September 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Google is not a typical company.
They have their own Linux based operating system.
They are also writing / updating Linux kernel.

Lucradia
September 14th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Google is not a typical company.
They have their own Linux based operating system.
They are also writing / updating Linux kernel.

Chrome/Google OS is a browser-based operating system.

I don't count Android as a pure Google product though.

Grenage
September 14th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Open source is a business buzzword, most of the time.

tbrminsanity
September 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I find that if Microsoft or Apple make a deal with a University then they will tend to have Windows or Macs at the University (just like when a University makes a deal with either Coke or Pepsi). It all comes down to funding and where a University can get extra funding. Most crown corps (government owned corporations) tend to use Microsoft because they have huge budgets and tend to want to spend it all (so they have the same huge budget next year). They tend to view Open Source like Microsoft, if it is a quick fix to a problem then sure, use it. Otherwise not here. Finally private business I've dealt with (especially ones with tight budgets) live Open Source because it saves on their bottom line, and it is more trusted then Freeware. These companies still tend to run Windows as their OS because they have to deal with the Crown Corps and they don't have the technical skill to overcome compatibility issues. I'm blessed that my company (a very large "Blue" company) is more liberal with Open Source and I get to run Ubuntu to do my job (they almost insisted on it as it saves the company over $1000 per person in licenses).

I think that Open Source is a huge mill stone, it turns slowly but finely. Open Source is gaining support (mostly in the IT industry) and is now starting to feed its way into mainstream society. It will be another 20 years before it is a common house hold name (unless we aggressively teach our children about Open Source) and that is something the Open Source community must accept (we still need to try to change that though).

Denis Krajnc
September 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Chrome/Google OS is a browser-based operating system.

I don't count Android as a pure Google product though.

Who said that they're using Google OS. They're working on that for community not for them. I heard staff is using different OS based on Linux.

rjbl
September 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hey
I read an article few years ago (can't find the link anymore) which stated more and more companies will switch to open source programs such as Linux to cut back on costs.

I'm seeing this right infront of my eyes as my Comp Sci lab uses Fedora that replaced XP and in my Economatrix class is using GRETL.

Is this a good indication that by when I graduate the companies I may work for will be using Linux or another open source operating system or is my school just that much cooler than everyone?

Yes'n'No. The big change in the last five years, or so, has been that companies and public authorities now frame their requirements in purely functional terms and make their purchasing decisions on grounds of least cost - purchase price + estimated lifetime support costs. No-one, but no-one, wants 'a Windows business computer system' or 'a Redhat business computer system' or 'a Ubuntu business computer system'. They all want 'a business computer system' and they want it as cheap as possible.

Keep flexible, keep an eye on developments in functionality.

rjbl

JDShu
September 14th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Most major universities in the U.S. have Linux computers, at least in the Engineering department.

Dustin2128
September 14th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Argh!
That's a vicious cycle you're perpetuating there. Businesses will buy what is taught in schools, and schools will buy what is used in businesses. If that is your argument for not teaching FOSS in schools, nothing will ever change.

kamaboko
September 14th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Argh!
That's a vicious cycle you're perpetuating there. Businesses will buy what is taught in schools, and schools will buy what is used in businesses. If that is your argument for not teaching FOSS in schools, nothing will ever change.

Business will buy what is good for business. Like it or not, Linux isn't for every industry primarily b/c the application software either doesn't exist on the scale needed, or it isn't up to snuff. For example, find me the equivalent of MAS90 for Linux. There are thousands of MS based applications like this that businesses rely on.

smellyman
September 15th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Who said that they're using Google OS. They're working on that for community not for them. I heard staff is using different OS based on Linux.

Supposedly they use Goobuntu. A Google rebranded Ubuntu.

Merk42
September 15th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Hey
Factor in retraining, and it is cheaper to stick with XP until 2014 than to switch to Linux

pwnst*r
September 15th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Factor in retraining, and it is cheaper to stick with XP until 2014 than to switch to Linux

^This.

Those that will disagree have never worked in a corporate environment. Guaranteed.

beew
September 15th, 2010, 07:11 AM
^This.

Those that will disagree have never worked in a corporate environment. Guaranteed.

The corporate environment is basically a lot of bs. There are of course costs in training people to use Linux, but do you think there is no cost in training people to use windows? The only thing is the corporate freeloaders don't pay for it, they pass the buck onto us, by having schools and colleges teaching Windows and so basically providing free training at tax payers' expense.

rjbl
September 15th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Business will buy what is good for business. Like it or not, Linux isn't for every industry primarily b/c the application software either doesn't exist on the scale needed, or it isn't up to snuff. For example, find me the equivalent of MAS90 for Linux. There are thousands of MS based applications like this that businesses rely on.

Beware of taking a merely North American / US view. Sage Accounting products actually have a lot of competition in Europe, Africa and Asia. GNU/Linux is very widely deployed throughout European business and government - has been for years. Guess what, there are commercial GNU/Linux accounting products which the likes of BMW are happy to buy.

rjbl

kamaboko
September 15th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Beware of taking a merely North American / US view. Sage Accounting products actually have a lot of competition in Europe, Africa and Asia. GNU/Linux is very widely deployed throughout European business and government - has been for years. Guess what, there are commercial GNU/Linux accounting products which the likes of BMW are happy to buy.

rjbl

Out of curiosity, can you specifically name these Linux platform software manufacturers that are making Sage Accounting sweat the European, African and Asian markets?

rjbl
September 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Out of curiosity, can you specifically name these Linux platform software manufacturers that are making Sage Accounting sweat the European, African and Asian markets?

Try SAP, for instance.

rjbl