PDA

View Full Version : Ordered DroidX and will arrive today -- WOOHOO!

samalex
September 13th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I've been fairly against smart phones for some time now, especially having a Moto Q for a few years (dropped it two years ago). But last week I test drove my wife's DroidX for the day and loved it! So yeah I ordered me one and it'll arrive today.

Just curious, how many of you use an Android phone or how many have developed software for it? I've already downloaded the Android SDK and hopefully will start coding some apps soon. Also any must-have apps?

Take care --

Sam

DougieFresh4U
September 13th, 2010, 04:21 PM
My room mate ordered the X but it won't be shipped until the 17th. My sister has one and I have heard her complain about the battery life not being so great

KrisInfinity
September 13th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I have a HTC Tattoo which is a low-end android device but it's doing the job very well...

samalex
September 13th, 2010, 04:52 PM
My room mate ordered the X but it won't be shipped until the 17th. My sister has one and I have heard her complain about the battery life not being so great

True, battery life will be a sacrafice from my current phone, a Motorola VE465 which only needs charging a few times a week. I guess that's one of the gives with moving to a smartphone, but I hear the DroidX battery is pretty much on par with most smartphones, including the iPhone.

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM
HTC Evo

Calash
September 13th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Droid 1, custom roms and all that fun stuff :)

Developing is done in Java. If you will be using Ubuntu the best IDE is Eclipse. There are some great guides on getting it setup as well as "Hello World" type guides to get your feet wet.

I am still not heavily into the development yet, have not had the time to put into learning the code.

There is also the Google App Creator coming that will help simplify app development. It is very nice so far from what I have seen.

As for apps it really depends on what you like. I would highly recommend Launcher Pro as a home screen replacement. Touchdown is a very well written Exchange mail client. Music wise I like Last.fm for network and Mixin for local.

For a fun game look for Alchemy. If you ever played Doodle God you will know how this works right away.

And for the times you want to do something on your computer but don't want to get up from the couch, ConnectBot is a very sleek SSH client.

whiskeylover
September 13th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Ubuntu/Windows/Mac + eclipse. http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html

Then go here http://developer.android.com/resources/index.html and do the tutorials, and go through the developer resources. There's plenty of stuff there.

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM

It's even worse on the Evo

Calash
September 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
It's even worse on the Evo

My buddy at work got an external battery pack from APC because he did not think the device was going to last. He was not happy at all with the battery.

I guess it is the price you pay for that beautiful screen :)

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I bought two extra batteries for mine. Not sure about it being the "price you pay", as it won't last 8 hours for some people with just moderate use.

whiskeylover
September 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I bought two extra batteries for mine. Not sure about it being the "price you pay", as it won't last 8 hours for some people with just moderate use.

Mine (Captivate) lasts me < 12 hours. I carry my USB cable with me to the office, and keep it charging during the day.

ubunterooster
September 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I have an Incredible. Very nice (except I'm not wild about google.) It works well but I'm not sure about battery life as I keep it nearly completely charged