PDA

View Full Version : WashingtonPost-Avoid Windows Malware: Bank on a Live CD

mango42
September 13th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I do hope the mods won't consider this too political, even if it does appear in a Washington post blog ;-)

Avoid Windows Malware: Bank on a Live CD

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/10/avoid_windows_malware_bank_on.html

.. .. ..I'm not the only one recommending commercial online banking customers consider accessing their accounts solely from non-Windows systems. The Financial Services Information Sharing and Analysis Center (FS-ISAC) - a industry group supported by some of the world's largest banks -- recently issued guidelines urging businesses to carry out all online banking activities form "a stand-alone, hardened and completely locked down computer system from where regular e-mail and Web browsing is not possible."

In direct response to this series reported and published by Security Fix, the SANS Technology Institute, a security research and education organization, challenged its students with creating a white paper to determine the most effective methods for small and mid-sized businesses to mitigate the threat from these types of attacks. Their conclusion? While there are multiple layers that of protection that businesses and banks could put in place, the cheapest and most foolproof solution is to use a read-only, bootable operating system, such as Knoppix, or Ubuntu. See the SANS report here (PDF).

Also known as "Live CDs," these are generally free, Linux-based operating systems that one can download and burn to a CD-Rom. The beauty of Live CD distributions is that they can be used to turn a Windows-based PC temporarily into a Linux computer, as Live CDs allow the user to boot into a Linux operating system without installing anything to the hard drive. Programs on a LiveCD are loaded into system memory, and any changes - such as browsing history or other activity -- are compeltely wiped away after the machine is shut down. To return to Windows, simply remove the Live CD from the drive and reboot. .. .. ..

It would be interesting to see how many just stay in Ubuntu ;-)

Calash
September 13th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Many of the modern LiveCD distributions are very full featured, so I can see merit in the idea.

Windows PE can also do a LiveCD environment, though they do not "Officially" support it and it will shutdown after 24 hours of use (At least it should. I have yet to see it do this)

With some work you can make a very feature rich Windows based operating platform. I use it for a diagnostic platform, based off of BartPE. However there are many build instructions out there to choose from.

Sporkman
September 13th, 2010, 03:07 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1290400
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291937

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Indeed old.

Dr. C
September 13th, 2010, 03:25 PM
It may be old, but the advice is as valid today and when the column was written.

CharlesA
September 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Does the fact that a livecd isn't as up-to-date as a normal install worry anyone?

Well, not up-to-date unless you install it then use remastersys.

pwnst*r
September 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM
It may be old, but the advice is as valid today and when the column was written.

Old as in repost. New to forums? Not a good idea to go digging up old threads either, but you can if you want to see what happens.