PDA

View Full Version : Censorship: Posts mentioning PirateBay deleted without any comments or reasoning!

Pifilatakanemu
September 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hey guys,
I'd like to have an answer of the responsible admin that deleted some posts that mentioned Piratebay. It happend to this thread:
flattr: social micropayment to support Ubuntu developers? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1556273)

They were deleted without ANY information.
This does not fit into a open community with a healthy discussion culture.

The background: flattr was started by the guys that run ThePirateBay. This was mentioned in the post and a user had worries about the possible illegal nature of it. I clarified that both projects have nothing to do with each other, despite the same persons behind it. I cited the terms of use of flattr that explicitly forbid the use conflicting with any laws and specially copyright.

Why was it deleted? Why wasn't it announced? Who did it?

I certainly did not do any advertisement for PirateBay. I just provided information on it and flattr. It is NOT forbidden to MENTION something that might be related with any law ruptures whatsoever. Is it?
Otherwise any threads/articles/publications on terroristic organizations, crimes etc. would have to be deleted, too. I don't think there are many here in the forums, but I just try to give an example why I can't understand the decision of the responsible person.

I'm sorry that I'm getting kind of upset but what happened in the thread is nothing but censorship. Without any good reasons behind it and more important: without providing any information on the deletion.

I seriously hope to get answers. I hope the responsible person explains the action, too.

bodhi.zazen
September 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
First, there is no reason to come into the Resolution Center with guns blazing.

The posts you are asking about were "off-topic" and thus jailed.

1. Several staff have reviewed the posts and there is a consensus (from those who have reviewed the posts) they were off topic and should be (remain) jailed.

2. They were not jailed because of the mention of TPB, they were jailed as they were off topic.

3. Yes, these are moderated forums. You were notified of such and agreed to the terms of use.

4. We do not require staff to post, PM, or otherwise notify you of their actions or reasoning. If you disagree with an action , please state your case politely here in the Resolution center and an admin will review the situation.

If you feel for some reason the posts in question should be restored, please provide a justification and I will consider moving them. Honestly, I think you are over reacting to a trivial staff action.

Pifilatakanemu
September 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Hey, thanks for the fast response.

I know it's moderated but I did never have a similar case where posts that were identified as off-topic disappeared.

Good to hear that several moderators had a look.

As far as I remember the posts were useful as they clarified the background of flattr and the legal nature of it. As a user was asking for it I think there is a need or at least a direct value of the information. There was a question and I provided the answer. Could you perhaps quote the text that was jailed so I can have a look?

Sorry for overreacting, but I would have expected a short notage/info that and why the posts were jailed. I think it would increase transparency very much.

bodhi.zazen
September 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM
You can view your own posts in the jail, but not the posts of others.