PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Windows Vista boot issue.. Please help !!!

meghal
September 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hello Friends,

I have Toshiba Satellite A 100 Laptop which was pre-installed with Windows Vista home basic.
Now, I wanted to try Ubuntu. So I followed the various webpages which guides us through the Dual OS installation and I was happy with the Vista-Ubuntu package.
Now, I don't know what happened but I screwed up my Ubuntu Partition and just deleted it when using Vista.
Then when laptop re-started , neither of OS opened. SO I freaked out as I only have one computer to access. I tried re-installing Recovery disc but it didn't help at all. And it kept on saying error 1117 and failed to read image from the source.
So to use computer, I thought to install Ubuntu on full hard drive. I did that and then I was able to get internet access and work my way through but I do want to re-install Vista.
From the webpages, I gathered that I might have played with MBR of my laptop. I tried to super grub disk from USB and there I get error 25. I tried to use “sudo apt-install ms-sys” and It says “ms-sys” not found or missing.
Now at the start I do get GRUB with options of Ubuntu and Windows Vista but whenever I try to boot Vista It says “ winload.exe corrupt or missing”. And the recovery disc of on no use. I have tried it many times.

Please kindly help.
I seriously want to re-install vista and I am not going to fiddle with laptop next time, when its not my cup of tea at all !!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Meghal.

viralmeme
September 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I have Toshiba Satellite A 100 Laptop

Could you post the output of Gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php)

meghal
September 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Could you post the output of Gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php)
I haven't used GParted yet.
Should I use that? How to use that ? Please guide.
Thanks for the reply.

garvinrick4
September 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Try using this with ubuntu Cd. Put cd in tray and boot.
Choose try ubuntu. Open a terminal in Ubuntu. and put these in one at a time.

sudo apt-get install lilo

sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
If it says error do not worry we just want the mbr part.

Reboot and should boot into Vista.
If you have a good install of Vista.

viralmeme
September 13th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I haven't used GParted yet.
Should I use that? How to use that ? Please guide.

Just browse to here and follow the pictures: Gparted Tutorial (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/)

meghal
September 13th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Try using this with ubuntu Cd. Put cd in tray and boot.
Choose try ubuntu. Open a terminal in Ubuntu. and put these in one at a time.

sudo apt-get install lilo

sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
If it says error do not worry we just want the mbr part.

Reboot and should boot into Vista.
If you have a good install of Vista.

Thanks a lot Garvinrick !!!
I am back on Vista.
I highly appreciate it.

regards,
Meghal