PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I'm new To kubuntu

VH-BIL
September 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hi,

I have just switched to KDE because I don't like the upcoming gnome shell.

What I wanted to know is, does the KDE bar have a window list that is not a popup menu like gnome or windows and can I move widgets to the right of the bar or do they just group to the left?

Thanks.

VH-BIL
September 13th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I worked out the right align widgets using spacers but still need to know if there is a windows list widget for displaying open windows not using using a popup menu.

3Miro
September 13th, 2010, 11:50 AM
How is the default KDE task bar different from Gnome's. What do you mean "popup" menu, do you mean that they give you previews when you hover the mouse over. Check the properties and you should be able to disable the popup.

VH-BIL
September 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM
How is the default KDE task bar different from Gnome's. What do you mean "popup" menu, do you mean that they give you previews when you hover the mouse over. Check the properties and you should be able to disable the popup.

I do not have an "open application" window list that lists the applications horizontally across the bar. I have an icon that I click an then a popup menu displays a list of open applications. how do I get the horizontal window list with previews etc.

Thanks for your reply.

3Miro
September 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
At the bottom right corner of the panel, there is the "KDE Cashew", if you click on it, you will activate settings for the panel. If the "Cashew" doesn't appear, there should be one on the top right corner, click on that one and select "unlock widgets".

Once you enter the panel settings, you can change a lot of things. You can access preferences for different "widgets" like the menu, access folder, taskbar and so on. You will probably have to add new widget "taskbar". Check out the otherones as well, there are even more widgets in the repositories.

VH-BIL
September 13th, 2010, 01:52 PM
which widget is for the horizontal window list with previews? I have got that far and the only window list widget i could find was the one with the popup menu.

3Miro
September 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I don't remember the name of it, however, I have also never seen the one with the list. So my guess at this point is that you do have the right widget, just that it is not set up properly. If you activate the panel cashew, you can right-click on the widget and look for options. There might be something in there like "group tasks".

VH-BIL
September 13th, 2010, 03:01 PM
It was the "Task Manager" widget. In gnome it was the Window List.

Thanks for your help anyway.